New Computer not loading Microsoft websites

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a new netbook the other day. An MSI wind u100.

Set up the wireless broadand and everything is fine except it will not load any Microsoft websites ffor some reason. Every other website is fine but as soon as i type in to google and click on a microsoft website i just get the
'server not found' screen as if the broadband is not connected.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
not one i've heard of...but it may be that someone has blocked the MS sites in your browser options...in your browser..ie8..? go to TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS, click the SECURITY tab then the RESTRICTED SITES icon then click on SITES and see if the MS sites are listed there. If so remove them restart your browser and all should be well.

I would count it as a blessing in disguise!

What firewall are you using?

Is the issue persistent across different browsers?

Check your hosts file in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ for any entries, it's pretty unlikely this is your problem but it's worth a try.

It could also just be an external routing issue, are you certain this is local to your netbook? Can you still access Microsoft sites via other machines on your network?

Sponsored Links
If the above doesn't work, you can also try resetting IE to 'factory defaults' by going to Tools > Options > Advanced > Reset Button.

If this doesn't make a difference try pinging www.microsoft.com to see what happens. You will not get a ping response, but I got:

Pinging lb1.www.ms.akadns.net [207.46.170.10] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

Also try downloading Chrome or Firefox to see if you can get to it from there.

Back