Using bonding on brick walls on 1930s house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have ended up stripping all the old lime plaster in our 1930s house and are now wondering whether to dry line or float the walls. Preference is to use bonding plaster rather than dryline but the question is whether that is going to cause problems down the line. There seems to be some information on internet that old brick walls with lime mortar are meant to breathe (something which lime plaster allowed it to do). Modern gypsum plaster bonding on the other hand supposedly doesn't allow it to do that which can then cause problems with damp and condensation on the walls. Dry-lining (dot & dab) provides a gap between the brick and the plaster which allows the air to circulate again.

Does anyone have experience of using bonding on old houses like that and has done it successfully with no problems? Using lime plaster again is not an option as we already have a very good plasterer who hasn't done it before (there is no conservation requirement to use lime again either).

Sponsored Links
firstly i'd use hardwall over bonding coat on brickwork.

secondly, you only need a lime render to allow breathing when you have solid wall with no damp proof course i.e. old stone walls normally.

the lime allows moisture sucked up through the ground and into the walls to the evaporate out through the lime.

that's how i understand it anyhow so IMO you should be fine using gypsum on your walls, the reason you had lime on there in the first place was back when your house was built it was the material of choice being used, cement render is a relatively new practice.

see what the other chaps say though

Trowelmonkey you have it there mate ,lime allows any moisture to pass out of the walls but it must be on both sides of the wall or it defeats the object and painted in a breathable paint or coating like lime wash ,yours is brick isnt it ? whats on the other side ? if its bare brick or cement render then you should be ok but if there is a lime based coating then i think you will have to use lime inside

Thanks, on the other side is a cavity (polybead filled).

Sponsored Links
Make sure your pipes and woring are all tip top beofre covering them over and skiming! D&D makes this easier and cheaper to do, floated walls are more robust. Swings and roundabouts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back