Bosch Exxcel Washing Machine doesn't turn drum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Bosch Exxcel washing machine which is just out of warranty has broken down yet again ! . :rolleyes:

There are no fault codes displayed. Basically the machine goes through programmes filling and emptying the machine but without turning the drum and without spinning ! I've checked the belt and it's OK.

Can anyone advise me whether this is likely to be just the motor brushes or whether it is likely to be something more serious ? If it could just be a problem with the brushes I'll take off the splash guard and have a look at them tonight...

Sponsored Links
It's certainly one of the symptoms of worn brushes on my machine (20+ year old Hotpoint 9524 800 DE LUXE - or something like that)

Thanks. My last machine was a Hotpoint which gave me sterling service.
To say I'm not impressed with my almost new Bosch breaking down for the second time is putting it mildly... :evil:

On the Hotpoint you knew when the brushes were worn because you'd get smoke and dust coming from the general area of the brushes. :p

Strange thing is that I'm not getting any error codes displayed.

I have none of that on the Bosch and I would have though it wasn't old enough to have worn the brushes out. Anyways, I'll have a look at the brushes when I eventually get home tonight ( might be interesting as I'm going for a few drinks with a departing work colleague straight after work... ) :LOL:

Anyone know the best place to buy new brushes if that is the problem ?

I'll post my findings here tomorrow.

I can't imagine the brushes being worn out after only a year (unless of course the machine runs 24-7).

Sponsored Links
I can't imagine the brushes being worn out after only a year (unless of course the machine runs 24-7).

Thanks for your reply Zipper - You're the Guru on these machines ! - I really appreciated your advice last time I had a problem.

I had a look at the brushes tonight and they are the problem ! The machine is probably closer to two years old. With two young kids my wife does tend to run it about three times per day.

I took out the brushes and they were worn right down. I cleaned them and the holders up and reassembled and the machine is working fine now - It looks like the cleaning did enough to restore enough pressure onto the commutator and everything to working order until the new brushes that I've ordered online for about £7 turn up.

I'm really pleased that I've saved having to call someone out - I can't afford it at the moment !

Thanks again for your help :cool:

post model number and fd number and we may be able to help more.
on door rim or rear plate usually unless a non german model?

Thanks for your reply. It's a Bosch Exxcel 1200 Express - I've solved the problem now so no need to post model number etc. It was a pretty generic problem which could occur on any Bosch appliance with carbon motor brushes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back