To paint kitchen units or replace doors?

Owl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Ive decided a revamp is needed for my dark wood kitchen - i just wondered if anyone thinks paintng the doors a lighter colour has worked for them or whether i may as well replace the doors completely. The kitchen itself was initially well designed so it just seems a real shame to gut it and put a brand new kitchen in (and expensive).

If i was going to do the painting, id want to get in a recommended painter/decorator but have heard so many horror stories on here that im not sure now - im in London btw.

Sponsored Links
I used to have medium oak kitchen doors and decided a revamp was in order. I used Gardenia Satinwood, which is about the colour of the cream painted kitchens you see about. A light sanding with wet n dry and a degreas with sugar soap. I needed about 3 coats and the door edges and frames were a little awkward but it looked great. I changed the handles at the same time. I used oil based satinwood which is very durable.

• Thanks
Reactions: Owl
Thanks for this - so it looks to be a professional finish and not worth replacing the doors? Given im not DIY friendly, is it something a decent painter could do? My builder isnt keen as he doesnt rate himself a painter but we are struggling a bit to find someone who could do a professional job and has recommendations/can view their work.

Sponsored Links
I have done several over the years and they all look great. Satinwood seems to be the best paint to use as it gives a nice finish and is just as durable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back