Questions about my pressurised system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
First time poster but you guys all look really friendly and helpful so here goes

I have a pressurised system that's been fine for two years but I now have a few questions

If I want to change some radiators then I need to drain the system but when I did that today (pipe on release valve, opened valve etc) and then I tried to heat up water the whole system made much more noise than usual!

Do I have to have filled radiators in order to heat water for the taps? I can't see why I would but clearly I don't know what I'm doing.

I was planning on having a drained system for a few weeks but I don't want to be without hot water for that long

Any thoughs!

Sponsored Links
your absolutely right, you need your rads filled with water and the system pressurised to 1 bar (there is a small dial on your boiler)you wont get hot water without it, I am assuming you have a combi boiler , or do you have a hot water cylinder ?

I need to drain the system but when I did that today (pipe on release valve, opened valve etc) and then I tried to heat up water the whole system made much more noise than usual!

i assume combi boiler make model ?

you are running the system dry

stop now

before you total the full system

if you need hot water sometimes the boiler can be pressurised seperatly depends on the make/model

:idea:

Thanks guys
Boiler is British gas 330 (non combi)
Cylinder is ariston unvented WRc-NSF

So if I can't have hot water for my taps without having full rads but I am replacing four rads and one in a room that needs plastering (so I can't do it in a day!) then what are my options?

Sponsored Links
I'm not a plumber but I'm guessing you will be without hot water!

If your unvented is fitted with an immersion heater you can use that while the rads are drained,failing that make do with kettles until you can properly refill the system.You will do a lot of damage if you disregard all the advice given on here.

Fair enough gents! I have a professional booked for the fitting of the new ones but I'd assumed a gap of two weeks to allow me to decorate behind where the new radiators are going! I guess I better shorten that timeline!

Thanks everyone for help so far

Immersion will keep your water hot, it'll cost a bit more to run though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back