electric hob wired to cooker point - reassurance required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
I have an indesit electric hob (bought from homebase)
It has been wired into a cooker point
the cable from consumer unit to cooker switch cooker point is standard 6mmsquared
---what surprised me was the thinness of the cable supplied (attached to hob)
it was flexible as opposed to 6mmsquared (which I have seen attached to other hobs previously

{edit ..I say flexible, thicker than white extension flex but still more flexible than grey 6mmsquared...also for extra info - the black lead contained two 'lives' crimped together and two neutrals crimped together and I think two earths, again crimped}

Can I assume there is no problem with this flexible cable going into standard cooker point?
Naturally customer book is vague because of the many countries sold to..I assume UK is single phase 220-240V
..out of interest which countries have 400V?
thanks for any reassurance you can give me
[I trust the fitting is OK, I just want some extra reassurance and apologies if I am making a fuss over nothing]

Sponsored Links
Ideally you want to change the cooker point (CCU) to a switched FCU( spur), or replace with a single socket and put a plugtop on it.
I'm presuming rating of the cooker is 13amps?
If all else fails read the instructions :LOL:

It is very likely the cable is suitable and that the hob requires somewhere in the region of a 30 or 32 amp supply.

The flexes on these 'heavy' appliances are often smaller than you would think.

So the thing to do first is check the kW rating of the electric hob first.

Assuming it's an all electric hob, I would expect it to be a lot higher than around 3 kW. 3 kW is around the maximum that could be put on the end of a FCU as detailed in the previous post.

Ideally you want to change the cooker point (CCU) to a switched FCU( spur), or replace with a single socket and put a plugtop on it.

If all else fails, read the original post. Its a HOB, not a COOKER.

What is the KW rating of this hob?

Sponsored Links

If all else fails, read the original post. Its a HOB, not a COOKER.

What is the KW rating of this hob?

Was meant tongue in cheek, thanks for pointing it out though, makes all the difference :rolleyes:

You need to read the manufacturers instruction supplied with the appliance.
Plus the output of the appliance will help.
It would also help if we knew the size of the protective device serving the 6mm cable.
and is the oven also wired to this outlet?

thanks for replies/reassurrance so far
The cooker point (6mm stuff etc) is served by a 32 fuse at consumer unit
My oven had a plug and is plugged into the ringmain (rather than the additional socket provided on cooker point)
as for power rating of hob is 6200
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back