trickle vents - confused!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to this website.

Have had several quotes to replace double glazing. Original has trickle vents. Have been told by 1 I definately have to have them, they wont risk installing without. Another has said not. That FENSA cert will be issued with no problems. Also said the vent plastic discolours differently to UPVC frame. The thing is I don't want them as they just harbour bugs etc.
Both these companies are reputable and I don't know what to do now. I particularly like the last companies windows too!

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Not that Fensa are in anyway useful in reality but the following is an extract from their own website which is an echo of the Building regulations

Trickle Vents, Building Regulation Approved Document F (Ventilation), are they required for replacement fenestration?

The Building Regulations Approved Documents N (Safety Glazing) and L (Thermal Insulation) are prime requirements for replacement windows and doors. Other elements of the Building Regulations A (Structure), F (Ventilation), B (Means of escape), J (Combustion Appliances and Fuel Storage Systems), M (Disabled Access) must not be compromised by the replacement installation.

Compliance with the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 is essential.

Trickle ventilators must be included in replacement windows if the outgoing windows included them. If the outgoing windows did not include trickle ventilators then the replacement windows do not require them to be included. If there is any doubt about the original compliance with the Regulations, the installer must collect evidence of the features of the original installation. However, it will be good practice to offer trickle ventilation to customers to improve ventilation and help with the control of condensation. If there is any doubt about achieving compliance with regard to any of these matters, the installer should contact their local Building Control Department.

Now not all window fitters are the brightest cookies in the shop to say the least and if one of your Fensa approved fitters does not even know this simple bit of legislation you have to wonder what else they may not know or what else they will not be doing by the book!

Legalities aside, a home without adequate ventilation is prone to condensation, leave them out if you wish but you may get problems with condensation in the future, just make sure that they can be retrofitted into the frames if needs be. The Forum is littered with hundreds of threads complaining about condensation.

PBD is correct & FMT has some added some equally valid points about condensation. If you had trickle vents before than your replacement windows must also have them; same goes for fire escape windows.

If the company is prepared to ignore Building Regs. lie to FENSA & risk their self certification in order to get a sale then I would hardly call them reputable; I would avoid them like a plague, who knows what other corners they will cut! Also be aware that a FENSA certificate issued in these circumstances will be worthless & non compliance can still be picked up at point of sale by an experienced surveyor.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all.

I think Richard you have just said what I was wondering, which is if I get a FENSA cert do I need to still be worried years down the line? So it wont be valid then?

The trouble is I do like their windows!!! and would rather not have vents!

A few other points-

The company has said they could be retrofitted,

I have never used the vents I have in 16yrs and never had condensation problems.

But what if I want to sell a few years down the line- what problems will I face?

Thanks again.

The only way a surveyor could raise a valid issue was if they knew you had a vents before the new ones were fitted. In anycase it would have to be a pretty stroppy purchaser who kicked up a fuss about trickle vents.

BTW most trickle vents even when closed will allow a little background ventilation.

The only way a surveyor could raise a valid issue was if they knew you had a vents before the new ones were fitted.
Agreed but the age of the house could give it away.
In anycase it would have to be a pretty stroppy purchaser who kicked up a fuss about trickle vents.
You’d be surprised :rolleyes: . But the worse you could probably expect is a grand or two off the asking price; personally I don’t give a stuff about trickle vents as I don’t like them either but, given the situation, I would use it to lever your asking price down. :cool:

Hmmm, so I could go ahead without them. I have now noticed several other houses around mine that have not had them fitted either, we all had the same windows fitted when the houses were first built.

I have to admit that only 1 company out of 5 have mentoned it. And that included a well known national company.

May be I'm worrying too much.

The 'kosher' company is slightly cheaper at the moment, and I am going to check out another style of window they do. Then I will decide.

Will it be the head or the heart that wins!

ventilation can also be acheived by small gaps in the window gasget with the both gaps being several inches away usualy around a corner to prevent draughts

I have to admit that only 1 company out of 5 have mentoned it. And that included a well known national company.
I’d avoid those like the plague.

Get quotes from small local companies, they rely on giving a quality service for repeat business & word quickly gets around if they don’t give a stuff. Ask lots of questions, even stupid ones as their response will tell you a lot about the company. Ask to see an installation & speak to a previous customer. When comparing prices, make sure your comparing like with like & profiles of similar quality. Check the price includes disposal of the old windows & making good; I would expect this to be done as a matter of course externally but internal plaster work will almost certainly be extra; don’t let them stick plastic beading around the inside with silicone, it looks awful & not much sticks to silicone so you’ll have a difficult job rectifying it later. Pay as little as possible up front, 10% if you can certainly no more than 20% & don’t pay the balance until you’re entirely satisfied.

Hi, thanks,

Both companies considering are well thought of local companies. I now think they do the same window, bonus! I have looked at the trickle vents with one and it was in situ, so it looked quite dirty and stood out to me.
They are going to show me some other vents hopefully. I am more inclined now to go with the vent one even though I still dont like them!

Thanks for all you help and will also check out the making good aspect indoors!

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back