COST PER SQ/FT TO BUILD - Northern Ireland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im considering building a 1600 sq/ft bungalow country dwelling.
Does anyone know what the average cost is per sq/ft?

I assume prices in Northern Ireland may vary from the UK mainland, but surely not by much if any.

Do the prices include electrics/plumbling/kitchen & bathroom fittings/decorating?

Sponsored Links
For a standard spec it would be about £100 per sq foot, for something a little more special your looking £130-140.

Are you including the cost of the site ? I had heard £60 - £70 per sq/ft from others.

Sponsored Links
Are you including the cost of the site ? I had heard £60 - £70 per sq/ft from others.
No that's excluding the land, it will vary from area to area.
Material cost may not be such a biog difference but the labour will.
The average UK price is about £100 per Sq foot.
But it really depends on the spec and quality of build.
It's reasonable to consider £80-90 sq ft could get you a decent build in NI.
If you can get it for £60 and the builder has a good rep, go for it.

Im just trying to figure out what its going to cost and see if it fits in with my budget. (Im allowing about £140k to cover the build & planning/legal fees.) The land is already owned.
I'd be laying the floors myself apart from the kitchen/bathrooms. Id be doing the painting/decorating. That would probably be my limit as to what I could manage myself.

Surely you could do it all for £140k and have a decent wee house !

At the present time in Armagh you will find it very easy to find building contractors.

You could consider taking the reins your self and use individual tradesmen.
They are falling over them selves for work at the minute. Never been a better time to build.
Sites were making anything up to 150k a few years ago so your lucky in one respect with your own land.

I agree there are plenty of good tradesmen around at the minute who have very little work on and are working for considerably less than a few years ago.

A very good experienced bricklayer i work with now and then told me about getting a squad together to build some houses for a big local developer and as low as he dared to price it was 30p a block. He was laughed at by the guy and said he had guys coming in at 18p a block!!! :eek:

Hi

does £100 per square foot still apply in the Armagh area for build a new house?

I had been advised roughly around £60 per sq foot was he rate at present??

would timber frames be a cheaper option?

Hi Breedo

We are being quoted between £65 - 70 per Sq ft for a new build in Co.Antrim area so I would say that £60 you mentioned is about right. Apparently the quote we have been given is just for builders finish so won't include kitchen/bathrooms etc. It's all new to me and still trying to head around it. Good luck

Hi,
I am a Civil Engineer offering a Professional Project Management service for private clients and businesses which are undertaking construction work I will oversee all work and choreograph delivery of supplies and ensure the relevant sub-contractors are on site when required I act as a go-between for the client, the sub-contractors and suppliers this gives the clients the comfort that work will be completed on time and to specification without the hassle of overseeing it themselves. Don't hesitate to contact me if you require this service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back