soil pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install a down stairs toilet and sink. The soil pipe is just through the external wall but is metal.

1. What do i need to drill through the wall, is it hard?

2. How do i cut into the existing metal soil and connect my new waste?

3. Can my sink waste go into the soil stack?

All help will be appreciated.

Nick

Sponsored Links
1 i use a diamond core or you could stitch drill it

2 angle grinder make sure the stack is secure before cutting (saves headaches)

3 yes

It isn't quite as simple as that.
Hire the core drill and bit but not from HSS. £25 tops for both. Hire a small bit for the basin waste too.

Connecting to iron isn't trivial - there are special connectors, ask in your local proper plumbing supplier, eg ugly rubber things with jubilee clips. Many decide to replace the bottom bit of pipe with plastic because it's easier overall.

my 2 p worth

if using a core drill make sure the "cut out bit" doesnt fall into the soil pipe. changing the bottom to plastic sounds less hassle

Sponsored Links
Bejaypers the diamond core drill is for the wall, not the iron pipe!

I've failed (many times!) to get plastic waste to seal into iron stink pipes. All the boss things leak quite soon despite every goo I've tried.

I would remove the cast iron 6" or so above ground level or even dig down to the clay / iron socket for a better job.

Put in an access branch for your new loo. It alows the drains to rodded easily (when roots or other nasties clog it up).

acc_brch.gif

brumylad said:
Put in an access branch for your new loo. It alows the drains to rodded easily (when roots or other nasties clog it up).

[/img]

and you want one of those gerberit ones too as they have a nice oval access port. your local 'drain center' will carry them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back