Options To Paint Rusted Coated Metal Vent Pipe ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a coated metal vent pipe coming out of the ground at the side of my house that I think is a drain vent pipe? It seems to have some form of coating applied, possibly galvanised or some similar process.

The pipe has become rusty on the upper section and I would like to get it painted to make it less unsightly. Would anyone please be able to offer some options for painting this pipe. I had thought of giving it a good brush down with a stiff wire brush or similar drill attachment followed by a coating with some Hammerite metal paint. However, I would be grateful for any advice as to better options.

I have attached a picture of the pipe below.

Rgds
Jack

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have a coated metal vent pipe coming out of the ground at the side of my house that I think is a drain vent pipe? It seems to have some form of coating applied, possibly galvanised or some similar process.

The pipe has become rusty on the upper section and I would like to get it painted to make it less unsightly. Would anyone please be able to offer some options for painting this pipe. I had thought of giving it a good brush down with a stiff wire brush or similar drill attachment followed by a coating with some Hammerite metal paint. However, I would be grateful for any advice as to better options.

I have attached a picture of the pipe below.

Rgds
Jack

I'd go for that. Just make sure you do the prep right and the Hammerite will do the trick.

Also: consider using a rust convertor like kurust..

If the rest of pipe is Galvanised, dont forget you need to paint this area first with a primer that says suitable for galvanised metal. Hammerite wont stick to galvanised :cry:

good luck..

Sponsored Links
Jack.

The formation of rust is reliant on two factors, moisture and air, if the one is stopped the other will take no effect. It is therefore important after prep to apply the correct product with haste.

In your situation you should remove all traces of rust before the application of your choosen product, if you lean toward Hammerite you should first apply the special metals primer, followed by at least two coats of Hammerite metal paint.

On bare metal Hammerite does not achieve good covering power and in my opinion suspect with regard to capability.

Your other and better option would be the Dulux route, after prep apply one good coat of zinc phosphate primer followed by two coats of Dulux Metalshield Gloss. if you get the application and prep correct it should ensure many years protection.

Dec.

That`s an air INlet pipe :idea: and there is supposed to be a mica flap to allow air in but not out :rolleyes: Seriously - it`s part of a 19th/ 20thCentury drain system that`s archaic now . I`d rip it off the wall and pug the hole in the deck up ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back