rainwater gullies clogging up with moss - how to avoid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello to all,

the rainwater gullies beneath the downpipes are continually clogging up with moss resulting in overflow water penetrating the adjoining footpath and foundation. I would like to minimise this problem somehow and am exploring practical and inexpensive options available.

the roof and drainage system comprises double pitch concrete tiles served by PVC gutter and downpipes.
the downpipes terminate immediately above the gully grating (slightly off centre) in a 45deg. shoe.

is it possible to introduce a mechanism to filter rain water debis or a system that does not require the level of maintenance which is as frequent as 4 week intervals.

any feedback would be appreciated.

thanks

s

Sponsored Links
Why the excessive roof debris? The roof is your first port of call - are your gutters clean?

Fine mesh self made screens could be wired to the gulley grating/grids but you would still have to remove the debris every so often.
Can you post pics?

mnb,

thanks for the response.
TBH, I cant access the gutters with my 12' ladder so I am not sure what their condition is. from the ground, there are no visible signs of vegetation and sagging or water overflow. however, after inspecting the image of the house, the ridge tiles do appear to have some moss growth.

please see images in album titled 'rainwater services'. the house image illustrates the low roof pitch, a single decidious tree to the front (west aspect / lime tree I think) and one of the downpipe/gulley which was cleaned in the last few weeks. please ignore the general condition of the footpath as im in the middle of finalising some ground work for a cloakroom toilet and this particular issues has existed for over 5 years.

moss production at roof level seems to be excessive as apart from the garden tree, no other trees are within 15 metres.

incidentally, I need to access the roof to fit a bird guard and those spikey things to deter seaguls so will have to source a ladder.

is there anything apart from cleaning the gutters I can do while im up there?
and do you know the correct term and probable source for those chimney top spikes?

thanks again,

rgds

s

Check/clean out gutters whilst ladder is available, could carefully brush off loose moss from tiles whilst on roof. Only way of lowering amount of moss coming out downpipe is to remove what you can from the roof and gutters. Tying a leg piece from an old pair of tights over the end of the downpipe will retain moss, remove tights inc debris and dispose.

Seagull spikes? Found this if any good? http://www.deteragull.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
hi,

pretty polly to the rescue :LOL:
i might use a power wash to clean the tiles whenever we get a fine day.

the bird spikes should do the job too.

thanks for your help.

regards,

s

hi,

i might use a power wash to clean the tiles

s

If you do, make sure you blast from the top down, otherwise the pressure could not only flood your loft space but lift the tiles causing some to break

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back