moving a 3 gang switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How easy would it be to move a 3 gang switch from one end of the kitchen to the other end??? I have just had my kitchen opened up and the light switches are by the old entrance which has now been blocked off. Would I be better running a new cable from the junction box and starting from scratch again or is there an easier way of doing this???

I have just ran a spur off the ring main with a fused switch to fit lights in the new extension and this worked fine, but I would have rather come off the light ring main if I was more confident in wiring up them all on a loop system.

Sponsored Links
loop in wiring isn't too bad once you realise that the switch cable is live and switched live IT IS NOT LIVE AND NEUTRAL. (the black wire in the switch cable whould be marked red with sleeving to indicate that it is a live wire and not a neutral wire but this is often not done).

as to moving your lightswitch it isn't that difficult just preserve the existing wiring arrangements and relocate the cables either by joining them to new cables (probablly best done with chockblock in a blanked off backbox just below ceiling height) or by replacing the cables right back to whereever they come from (this is the best way but may be impractical)

screw terminals shouldn't really be inaccessible though this rule is often brocken and should always be in a suitable enclosure (you can use junction boxes which have the enclosure built in but theese are only really suitable for locations where they will be accessible but not readilly visible (loft space cupboards etc)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back