How do you join the top/bottom of plasterboard on a ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- just about to plasterboard a ceiling. Can anyone help with these please?

1/. The side joints are thinner to take tape and filler, but how do I join the top/ bottom flat edges so cracks don't appear?
2/. Can I use 9.5 in a kitchen, or is 12.5 plasterboard a regulation?
3/. Going off the plastering subject a bit, but do I have to insulate the joist gap? I've been told that I do in my converted garage (fine) but do I have to do in my existing kitchen?

Many thanks! Richard.

Sponsored Links
1/. The side joints are thinner to take tape and filler, but how do I join the top/ bottom flat edges so cracks don't appear?
You must tape the joints or it WILL crack; are you getting it skimmed or are you just going to tape & fill? It’s one of the problems with tape & fill on ceilings & you will have to fill over & try to blend it all in so it doesn’t notice. Very difficult & more trouble than it’s worth IMO, tape the joints & get it plastered. Without wishing to open up the debate again of taper over square edge boards when skimming, you’d do better to board out using square edge; stagger the boards with longest edge across the joists.

2/. Can I use 9.5 in a kitchen, or is 12.5 plasterboard a regulation

Use 12.5mm; there is no regulation but nobody I know uses 9.5mm any more.
3/. Going off the plastering subject a bit, but do I have to insulate the joist gap? I've been told that I do in my converted garage (fine) but do I have to do in my existing kitchen?
Assuming it’s not a single story flat roof & has a room above it, no.

Thanks for replying- I might be being a bit thick here, but are you saying if a room IS above, I need to insulate ceiling void? Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back