Baumatic Washing Machine has gone wrong

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We have a Baumatic WDSS.

On its last wash it made a dreadful noise on the final spin. Now when you move the drum its like there's something inside rubbing against it. There are also tracks going round the inside of the drum as if something sharp has come in contact with it from the other side while it was spinning.

Does anyone know what this might be? Could it just be something come loose? Is it worth a layman like me to open it up and see if it's just a screw loose?

I'm worried about cost of repair and not really sure who to ring.

Should I use a Baumatic service centre? Or try mybuilder.com to see if someone could come out and have a look.

Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of price I'll be looking at for London call out and probably spares?

Thanks, any info would be great.

Sponsored Links
could be bearings have failed on it or simply that something may just be caught between drum and tub.

Is it something i should pay for someone to have a look at?

I mean is it a complicated procedure to check what it is?

Cheers

I have rang Baumatic and they will charge £143 for call out charge, fixing it and 1 years service plan.

If they can't fix it I still get charged £110 call out but get a discount on another machine.

Do you think this is worth it? There seems to be a few companies on the internet that will charge about £23 call out plus £50 for any parts.

Can someone advise me on the best choice here? I'm worried about the money, but I don't want to get ripped off.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
when u turn the drum by hand is it loose or tight? does drum make rattling sound or does it feel like something catchin it? if it something catching it then you mite be able to get to said item by removing sump off machine as sometimes stuff gets trapped round heat element

Hi there,

Here's an update I have 3 quotes

1) from Domex. £35+VAT Callout £30+VAT labour + parts

2) from repaircare. £123 callout, labour and parts fixed price. If it can't be fixed it becomes just£45 call out.

3) from baumatic service

£143 for call out, fixing it and 1 years service plan. Bad news is that if the machine cannot be fixed they only give you 33 of that back. Ie a £110 call out.

So I guess it comes down to how much parts might cost and should I trust independent companies.

Could anyone have a go at guessing part cost range for this fault? Or advise me on which deal I should go for?

I'm tending towards repaircare, but I don't know. Cheers

Hi tonto. Just read your post.

When you turn it it feels normal until 1 point of the revolution where it scrapes 6 times against something.

Thx for the reply.

then u got something trapped between drum and tub most common item is bra wire, use touch and look inside drum see if u can see anything poking up one of the holes or where item maybe stuck

So from what you're saying I should be able to fix it myself?

If I do see anything, is it fairly easy to open the machine to move it?

Is it in through the front panel, or side?

Could you give me a rough idea on how to get to it?

And thanks very much for the help, it would be amazing if I could save the money of a call out :)

And it's definately not like wire. It's something more solid, like a heavy part is pushing against the drum.

Hi again,

I've just had another closer look at it.

Here's a clearer description of fault and what I need to know:

When you revolve the drum it rotates with a wobble, like it's axis has moved off centre. This causes it to rub against something when the furthest out part goes along the bottom of the circle.

To put it another way, as it revolves one part of the drum goes too far down and the opposite side doesn't go down far enough.

I hope that makes sense.

Anyway, simply put, what I need to know is:

1) What is the chance of the machine being beyond repair?

2) What are the parts likely to cost?

The model is Baumatic WDSS

Once I know this information I'll be able to make a better decision about who to call out.

Can anyone help me with this as soon as possible? I really need to get it sorted soon as the washing is mounting up :(

Cheers

From your description it sounds like the drum support (spider) has failed.

Its a 3 or 4 legged support that bolts to the back of the drum inside the outer tub. If a leg beaks it can cause it to drop at one point in the drum rotation and if seperated can cause it to snag at one point.

OK thanks.

Any idea if it's repairable?

And if so how much the parts might cost?

I just need a educated guess so I can decide which repair plan I should go for.

I'm assuming I can't fix it with some gaffer tape :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back