Kitchen and french doors joinery - is this a fair cost??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just received a quote for a range of renovation work to our house. Part of it is for joinery work to fit a new kitchen in the current spare bedroom (approx 4x3.6m). The scope for this part of the job is as follows:
-> Fit a flat pack Crosby kitchen (about 17 floor and wall units)
-> Change an existing window into a door into the garage (includes supply of door)
-> Change an exisitng window into french doors (same width no lintel change) - (includes supply of doors)
-> Plasterboard 3 walls (to avoid having to deal with concrete walls)
-> Plasterboard ceiling to cover nasty cracks in old ceiling and to allow easy access of new lighting
-> Taping the above plasterboard
We've been quoted £6700 for all the joinery work associated with the above. It does not include plumbing, electrical or building work.

Is this expensive? I had thought £2500 tops for the fitting of the kitchen and I couldn't find another £4000 in the other tasks. What do you think? Anyone have any similar costs for any of these items I could compare with?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
are you supplying the kitchen or is it included in that £6700?
are the doors to be supplied by the builder going to be upvc or timber?
have they quoted to supply you with a separate ceiling suspended below the old one or just to board over the old?
does the kitchen fit include tiling also? and if so what type of tiles?
fill in the blanks and i will tell you what i would have charged
:)

are you supplying the kitchen or is it included in that £6700?
-> We're supplying the kitchen
are the doors to be supplied by the builder going to be upvc or timber?
-> uPVC French doors, 1/2 hour fire door to garage (allowance of £200)
have they quoted to supply you with a separate ceiling suspended below the old one or just to board over the old?
-> Not too sure - the quote says "Resheet existing ceiling, tape and fill ready for paint finish. " I thought it was going to be resheeted on battens attached to the existing ceiling.
does the kitchen fit include tiling also? and if so what type of tiles?
-> no tiling
fill in the blanks and i will tell you what i would have charged

Thanks very much.

well from that i would say he's certainly not loosing any money,
to fit a kitchen supplied by you i would charge around £1000.00

to supply and fit a set of french doors (including the building work required to make and make good the opening under an existing lintel) i would charge between £800 to £1000.00 decent 1200 x 2100 french doors should be around £400
similarly for the garage door with closer and intumisents supplied and fitted around 400 - 500
fit 6 sheets of board £50 -£60
finishing ceiling tape joint and plaster - £200
batten ceiling around 200
so i would put the total at around a maximum of 3000.
and i would still make good money on that
waste removal add around £150.00
i was fitting kitchens for a local firm 2 years ago, and i used to get 350 - 500 a kitchen, 2 of us could manage 3 a week on average, thats without any electrics or plumbing or tiling
so in answer to your question, Too Dear
far too dear
shop around bud, don't pay that. infact most people should be able to give you an estimate via email if you give them all the relevant details

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for that. I'll sit down with him this weekend and see if we can agree something more sensible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back