Can I put pipes through a stud wall with fireboard on?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- converting garage into utility room and bigger kitchen with stud wall. Utility room side must be fireboarded, including boxing in cooker hood extraction pipe. All fine and good...... But can I push a hot and cold 15mm pipe through the fireboard from the other side, or does this constitute a breach of the fireboard. If I can do this, do I need to seal any gap with intumescent filler?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can do it and yes you need fire collars on the pipes.

Why do you need extra fire precautions and intumescent materail for a utility room - there is no longer a garage is there?

Thanks for this reply, very useful, but can you please tell me what a 15mm fire collar looks like/ where I buy it? Is it a 'Screwfix' type thing? Thanks.

Thanks to answer two as well, but fire regs. (building control) state this requirement.

Sponsored Links
So we will have a nice fireproof wall, nicely sealed and which will last an hour or so in a fire ..... and a door which will last 60 seconds?

Methinks you haven't gone down this path before. Your thoughts are similar to mine a while back. The door you have to fit is a fire door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back