What size fuse for an Oil Boiler isolation switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an isolation switch for my Horstmann timer unit which controls an oil boiler. What size fuse should be used in the isolation switch? It is currently a a 13amp, i would have thought I should have been 3 or 5amp.

And could the above 13amp fuse have anything to do with a new circulation pump failing after a week?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Most likely a 3amp but best that you look at the boiler manual for the info.
If you don't have the manual then a quick call to the manufacturer should yield the answer. A correctly rated fuse is a balance between protecting all circuits downstream of the fuse and not blowing under normal operating conditions.

An incorrectly rated fuse won't cause an initial fault in the pump but it may make things worse by not disconnecting (blowing) fast enough to prevent further damage or (in an extreme case) even fire.

Fused Connection Units (FCUs) are usually shipped with 13A fuses in them. Many installers (especially of heating systems - sorry plumbers!) do not think to change the fuse to the size required by the installation.

I expect that is what has happened, or the original fuse blew and somebody just put a 13A one in :rolleyes:

Most boiler systems require a 3A fuse. Do put the correct one in; heating programmers will fry (at substantial cost) if a short occurs and the fuse is 13amps!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back