UPVC Door Jamming.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

Our front door is jamming a treat at the minute. There are 4 holders on the frame which a sliding rudder on the door is supposed to lift 4 latches above the holder top ledge when the handle is pushed down.

Unfortunatley he rudder is not lifting the latches high enough and they just keep hitting the top ledge of the holders meaning the door has to be forced shut and open now which is now wearing down the holders and latches.

Is there any way of adjusting the rudder so it lifts a bit higher ?

Many Thanks
Niall :)

Sponsored Links
Everything are adjustable on UPVC door,door hinges,latch,lock & height.I know it not easy for the first time,but have a look what you can undo & adjust.The problem is every UPVC doors I've done are difference.

normally the problem with pvc doors is that they are not 'heel and toed'( ithink thats what it is called) properly.
the surround of the acual door is held in the correct shape by the glass or panel inside it.

if this is not quite right the side of the door with the latch on dropos and viola! the door won't close.

i don't really know how to explain how to resolve it.

if the door is fairly new get the installer to correct it.

failing that you can look here and all should be explained. www.thewindowman.co.uk/toe_heel.htm

good luck
aleks

Also your door or frame might not be square and the only way round it if you can't adjust it anymore is to use plastic wedge packing under the window/panel to alter the shape of your door to fit into your frame and not easy to do unless you're experience.Most UPVC door/window come with a 10yrs warranty.

Sponsored Links
I have just unjammed my door, not sure if all the doors are the same but I found that on the edge of the hinge was a plastic cover that I flicked off with a screwdriver, behind that was a allen key adjuster screw, anti clockwise pulled the door up and clock wise dropped the door. Hope this helps.

I have just unjammed my door, not sure if all the doors are the same but I found that on the edge of the hinge was a plastic cover that I flicked off with a screwdriver, behind that was a allen key adjuster screw, anti clockwise pulled the door up and clock wise dropped the door. Hope this helps.

I suspect, after 6 years the OP has managed to unjam his own door! :rolleyes: :LOL:

That must be just about a record for old posts. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back