Replacing SG pane with DG pane..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace a SG pane with a DG panel in a wood frame. The hole size is 550mmx1100mm, what size should I get the unit made to allow for any expansion in the wooden frame, I was thinking 5mm all round?

In case you are wondering why I don't replace the window with a full UPVC one, the frame includes the meter box, and dg front door and I'm not in a position to rip it all out and replace it with UPVC at this point in time, so just the pane for now.

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
if your frames are not specificly designed for d/g then its a complicated and very expensive job
the rebates are not deep enough and the glazing will stick out the front
i believe you can get stepped glass units or ultra thin but these are expensive

Generally the rebate depth is not big enough to take a unit worth talking about, at the most you'd get a 4/6/4 in which would be pointless, then the bead would stick out further or if it's puttied then you'll have no room to putty up, also putty brings its own problems with DGU's so just don't go there. And then there is of course the draing channels you'll need to let the water drain from under the unit otherwise it'll fail within months.

Stepped units will also fail and look rank from the inside, as Big All says it just all gets a bit expensive and pointless, you'll open up a whole can of worms if you start :(

Thanks for the replies.

I realise the rebate will be too small but that can easily be resolved with a saw and a new thinner bead on the inside and outside.

So humour me, why are drainage channels required if it is sealed in with frame sealant or the likes? It's not beyond me to rout a few channels in or whatever. It's the only way this window is going to get dg for the forseable future.

Cheers

Chrus

Sponsored Links
Seal all you like, water will still get past the beads.......somehow!

Either a groove at each end running front to back in the rebate under the DGU OR in the underside of the bead, this will help any water to drain away.

Wasn't trying to be funny, just offering advice based on 20 years experience fitting, glazing and repairing wooden, pvc and ali doors and windows ;)

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your experience and words of wisdom!

I can see the problem now and have an idea of what needs to be considered.

Cheers

Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back