What sort of locks do I have? Home insurance...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to fill out a quote for home insurance renewal, GoCompare site requires what types of locks I have fitted, their options are: -
5 Lever mortice deadlock
5 Lever mortice deadlock conforming to BS3621
Key operated multipoint locking system
Rim automatic deadlatch with key locking handle
Other

My front door is locked via a key operated Yale night latch
My backdoors are double glazed pvc, where you raise the handle to lock, it locks in various locations around the frame when locked with a key on the door handle.

Any help appreciated as my insurance is up this afternoon
Regards
Otto

Sponsored Links
Your front door just has a yale lock on, most cheapy yale type locks aren't BS approved so will not be accepted by the insurers, a pic of the lock will help to identify if its a BS type or just a cheapy. Usually along with a yale lock you have a mortice deadlock OR sashlock fitted lower down.......do you have this?

The back door is PVC so will fall under the multi point locking system

A night latch is just that, a latch. It offers little or no protection from attack. Hopefully you are using this term to discribe a rim cylinder lock.
As Crank says "picture" please then we can give you some meaningful advice.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

Sponsored Links
No certainly not BS 3621. If you do not have a mortice lock fitted below this lock then this door will into fall into Go-compare option "other" and the back doors "key operated multipoint locking system".
My best advice would be for you to fit a mortice lock to BS3621 2007 such as the Union 3G114E (It is the same as the Chubb 3G114E but Chubb as a brand for locks is no longer available).
DC
Teamlocksmiths.

If you're in a hurry, you can fit a BS nightlatch such as the example shown more easily than anything else; but they are more expensive than a BS Mortice Deadlock, and IMO not as good, as the staple will break off the frame if barged or kicked hard.

If you can afford it, have both. Preferably one fixed 1/3rd down from the top of the door, and one fixed 1/3rd up from the bottom.

The nightlatch in particular should be fitted well away from glass panels or letterbox, because unless you have deadlocked the internal handle, it can easily be opened from outside using a simple home-made tool, for example when you are asleep in bed.

Wickes sell the BS nightlatches made by ERA, in a package marked "Wickes" at a good price. Make sure it has the huge armoured external cylinder case, not an ordinary Yale type cylinder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back