Creaky solid wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the floor in my kitchen replaced with solid wood T&G boards in December of last year. This was installed as a floating floor over a chipboard subfloor. The floor has always been pretty creaky, with some visible movement underfoot in places (especially one area which has no nearby furniture).

In the past week or so I've noticed a section of the floor 4 boards wide has begun to ride up considerably as per the picture below:

floor.jpg

If I put enough weight on the boards I can get them back down flat, although they always spring back to where they were before.

Any ideas as to what's causing this and/or what can be done?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Simple answer: Moisture

Either moisture coming up from the sub floor, or a leak from somewhere.
If that is a big fridge freezer sitting on it, do you have leak from the back of it, or is there a blockage in the condenser area?

Find where the moisture is coming from and we can offer some more help.

The other possibility of course is that insufficient expansion has been left around the perimeter. You need to check by removing any skirting boards or trim around the edges to see if the floor itself is hitting the walls.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

As the others suggested. Did you leave gaps while laying between some boards?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back