Campervan Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks ...

Not sure if this is the right section to post in but hey ho..

I recently added a power supply/battery charger to my campervan electric 240v hook up. This allows charging of the leisure battery when hooked up and runs the 12v electrics.

Problem is as soon as I flick the MCB switch the charger/supply is connected to it trips the RCD (60A 30ma RCD)
I've checked and double checked all connections and they are correct. All the rest of the circuits on the consumer unit work fine.

If I remove the charger/supply and plug it into the ring main at home it works absolutely fine - although I only have an MCB consumer unti at home.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
What else is on that circuit?

How did you connect in the charger?

If you replace the charger with something else, does the circuit still cause a trip?

Is the RCD that is tripping in the campervan? in the hookup? somewhere else?
Is this a hookup on a caravan site or at your home? if the latter how is it supplied?
How are things connected in the campervan?
What if any test equipment do you have?

Sponsored Links
On it's own circuit.

If I swap it to another mcb it still trips out
Does it trip with the charger disconnected?

It's likely that you've screwed up installing that circuit.

When you did your insulation resistance and continuity tests before energising it, what were the results?

Is the RCD that is tripping in the campervan? in the hookup? somewhere else?
Is this a hookup on a caravan site or at your home? if the latter how is it supplied?
How are things connected in the campervan?
What if any test equipment do you have?

RCD is in the consumer unit in the van. Only two circuits 1 supplies a single socket which is fine the other supplies the charger. I've swapped them over but it still trips the RCD whichever circuit it's connected to.

Supply is via a hook up cable.

I have a multitester

Charger works fine when plugged in at home but even if i plug it into the socket in the van it trips the rcd

are your sockets at home protected by a 30mA RCD? If they are then perhaps you should get that tested by a sparky, while he is there he could do an insulation resistance test on your charger or Portable Appliance Test (PAT) it for you too.

Any ideas?
So let's see..
  1. You have more than 1 circuit in the van, and neither exhibit any problems without this appliance connected.
  2. When you connect this appliance to any of the van circuits it trips the RCD
Why doesn't that tell you that there's something wrong with the appliance?

It is possible the inrush on the filter network could cause an RCD to trip even though it is within allowed parameters when only a single item is used, but since fitted to a caravan which is likely to be plugged into may different RCD's in it's life it is not fit for purpose and only option is to return it and get a replacement.

I have had this problem in the past a whole batch of scales they had an EMC network which caused similar problem and after return they arrived back with network removed with note not required for UK.

As far as you are concerned it is a faulty charger take it back.

Already decided the charger was at fault ... Am now in contact with the manufacturer to get a replacement so should all be sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back