MAIN Combi Eco and Salus RT500RF - heating issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a query. We had a MAIN Eco combi boiler and Salus RT500RF remote wireless control fitted a few months ago and have been running it as hot water ony. As its now turned a bit colder i switched it over to heating and hot water this weekend.

For my programme on the Salus I set it to 7 days (i am about to have a baby so will be home a lot) and set each days program to :
1: 6am 20deg
2: 10am 15 deg
3: 4pm 20 deg
4: 9pm 15 deg
5: 9pm 15 deg ( iread on this forum somewhere to have 4 and 5 set the same if you only wanted it to be triggered overnight if it fell below the temp recorded under 4 and 5)

Essentially then, i want the heating coming on for a few hours in the morning and evening with view to it reaching 20 degrees.

Anyway. It is now midday and the Salus is registering 22 deg so my heating should be off right? However about every 15 minutes or so it clicks on for about 30 seconds and the boiler fires up and the green LED light and central heating and flame LEDS comes on to indicate that the heating has come on. I check the controller and the 'heat' symbol (like a snail) is NOT on the controller. The boiler then flicks over to the LED flashing on the water (which i understand is indicative of the normal pre-heat cycle).

Now what this means is that even though the heating should be off the radiators keep getting a brief burst of heating about 3 or 4 times an hour resulting in them never going completely cold. Instead they are staying very slighlty warm to the touch. Is this normal? This does appear to be tied in with the pre heat water cycle which i know is normal. However the manual doesnt mention anything about this also occurring for the heating!

I hope this makes sens and would appreciate it if someone in the know can tell me if this is normal or if there is a problem here somewhere.

Thanks
Melissa

Sponsored Links
...obviously this is an old post, but I have exactly the same symptoms with my boiler and wireless thermostat (main eco combi paired with salus RT500RF) - the pre heat fires up every 15 mins or so. Did you resolve this problem? Easy fix or faulty kit?
Cheers.

Not sure if this boiler has a pre-heat on the hot water. If it has the diverter valve may be letting by. Just a thought

Dont you be touching no gassy parts now. Good lad

Sponsored Links
Hello,

Yes I did resolve it but it ended up being a two step process. If i recall correctly then firstly, the man who installed the boiler came out and did the wiring in a different way.

Secondly, I had to change the frequency that the Salus was set too (easy job -instructions in booklet) - just involves moving some jumpers about.

If yours is a new installation then I would say that it may not have been wired right. if it's an old installation and just started doing this. then change the jumpers!

hope that helps,

Melissa

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back