DIY wood stove costs £4000 !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is from the HVP magazine and shows what can happen when a DIY installation does not obtains the relevant approvals !

DIYer gets pocket burned

A homeowner has been fined thousands of pounds after illegally installing a woodburning stove.

Paul Taylor pleaded guilty to breaching building regulations relating to the installation. He admitted he was not registered with HETAS (Heating Equipment Testing & Approval Scheme) and that he had not applied to Charnwood Borough Council for a Building Notice for the work.

The flue was fitted incorrectly and was in direct contact with timber and plastic in the eaves of the property, a bungalow.

Taylor was ordered by Loughborough Magistrates Court to pay £4,323 in fines and costs.

HETAS chief executive Bruce Allen said: “This case highlights the potential dangers of DIY installation. Thankfully, no-one was injured on this occasion.”

Sponsored Links
Forgive my ignorance here, but I'm planninning to instal a wood burner in my house. 5" appropriate liner, terminal, aealing plate, vermiculite etc.

Can I do it or do I need HETAS approval? It is an existing brick chimeny, which will be swept beforehand. Alos the stove complies with the air regulations for my area.

Am I about to become a cowboy fitter? :confused:

woddya mean "about to"
rofl5.gif

Sponsored Links
What about all those homeless blokes you see in Manhatten on TV standing round an old oil drum rubbing their hands together over a fire.....?

You can do it yourself, you don't HAVE to use a HETAS installer. I just did one, but you DO need to notify building control, meet the regs (download off the web) and do things like fix a identity plate. I used a hanging cowl to avoid removing the chimmney pot. It's not a hard job if your stack is reasonably straight.

I used a 6" double skin liner 916 grade for smokless fuel. I didn't use backfill, its not necessary if the chimmney if fully within the building (I want that heat coming out the sides not going up the flue!) Paid £170 for 7m for pipe, the cowl and the guiding cone.

5" is a bit small though, regs indicate 6" for all but the smallest stoves....

Tony, I very much doubt if Brent, our local authority BC would have any time, effort or interest in enforcing such matters!

I cannot find any reference to wood stoves and Brent Council which is just as well in relation to some plans I have.

But in Crest Road they have errected five bollards just in front of a front garden JUST to stop the owner driving across the pavement to park on his own frontage!

Tony

Probably cost them more than the £1000 they charge to fit a crossover for a drop kerb...

Why not. My liner is rated for smokeless, wood, gas, oil, coke, peat.

Price mentioned seems to be too cheap for 1mm gauge thickness, which I understood to be recommended for wood.

You can look at the guide on the HETAS website; it lists the approved liners and appliances and their applications. Liners aren't regarded as a permanent solution. Burning unseasoned wood will cause premature failure. The manufacturers can find out if you've used non-approved fuels by taking samples of deposits from the flue liner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back