Hoover Condenser Tumble Dryer HSC170 Fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

First post on here. Hope some one can point me in the right direction. I've done a search on here for the fault I've got with the dryer, and nothing's coming up, so here goes..................

Dryer has stopped working mid-cycle. There is a quiet humming sound, similar to when the 'Filter Care' light illuminates, but the light isn't on. I've cleaned the filter anyway, but to no avail. I've emptied the water chamber too.

Before I start pulling the thing apart, I thought I'd ask if anyone has had something similar, or could tell me what to look out for when fault finding (ie what is meant to happen :D )

Thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
EEK!!!

I've now taken the thing partially to bits. Top's off. Bottom front cover off. Discovered a truly extraordinary amount of fluff in all the crevices inside the machine. Got as much out as I can, but now the fault has mutated.

It still won't go round, but now the rear of the timer dial is making the most awful noise (a kind of 'I'm going to die' noise).

Things aren't going well. And to top it all, it's raining, so the washing is mounting up.....................

HELP!!!

:eek:

When the lid is off spin the drum by hand and press start does it go round.

Nope. No movement at all.

After doing several searches on here I've found that sometimes the capacitors go kaput. After much shedding of blood and Anglo-saxon language, I've managed to get the capacitor out and although it looks fine, it didn't show anything when I tested it with my meter.

I've ordered a new one, but that doesn't explain the nasty noise from the timer, so still not on the home straight yet.

Sponsored Links
Hoover timers are not the quietest and with the lid off it will sound louder.

If you test the voltage on either side of the capacitor & they are both the same, then the chances are it is ok. Not surprised you don't measure any resistance as they more often than not go open circuit when they fail. However I am puzzled by this description about the timer are you sure it is supplying a voltage to the motor in the first place?

Righto - I've replaced the capacitor, tried to start the thing again, but the timer is still making a loud chattering noise and the drum is still not turning.

Does anyone know what voltages I'm meant to be getting on what terminals, and at what point in the cycle?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back