Worcester Bosch 24i junior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved in new house with new boiler and radiators fitted. All rads have TRV fitted, apart from 1 in hall where there is an old looking wall thermostate... how can i check if this is working and secondly do i need a wall thermo with this system.. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Turn the stat to maximum and the boiler should fire up, turn to minimum and it will go off. Set it to a sensible setting and it should shut the system off once the house is up to temperature.

It's been best practice for 30 years and should save boiler wear and save a little gas.

In reality many stats are poorly located and the rad in that area is often incorrectly setup so the stat turns off to early or stays on too long despite the house being up to temp.

The radiator in the room where the room stat is, shouldnt have a TRV as they will work against eachother

It is correct practice to have room stat and no TRV in one room, the rad will also act as a bypass for your system as lockshields never close themselves down as TRV'S do

Yes you should have a room stat, NEED? no, but why get rid of it?

To test if its working run your CH let it run for 20 mins, then turn in down 2 say 10 - 15, this time of year should knock off, see if boiler goes off, turn it back up see if boiler comes on

The radiator in the room where the room stat is, shouldnt have a TRV as they will work against eachother

It is correct practice to have room stat and no TRV in one room, the rad will also act as a bypass for your system as lockshields never close themselves down as TRV'S do

Yes you should have a room stat, NEED? no, but why get rid of it?

To test if its working run your CH let it run for 20 mins, then turn in down 2 say 10 - 15, this time of year should knock off, see if boiler goes off, turn it back up see if boiler comes on

Hi thanks for advise, seems the old thermo isn't working, so am i ok to set the rad temp from the boiler, say on number 3, and adjust diff room temp from the TVR... Seems a strange set up to me .

Sponsored Links
A TVR is a car

You can set rad temp from boiler stat, however this is not what your broken roomstat did

Boiler stat controls temp of water in radiators

Room stat/ TRV's control temperature of room

Whatever you turn you boiler stat to will effect all rad temps

A TVR is a car

You can set rad temp from boiler stat, however this is not what your broken roomstat did

Boiler stat controls temp of water in radiators

Room stat/ TRV's control temperature of room

Whatever you turn you boiler stat to will effect all rad temps

Haha a very nice car too...
Thanks for advise matey, big help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back