Circulation Pump Ravenheat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ravenheat (I know not the best boiler) Combi gas boiler sealed system.

Downstairs rads not working (2 rads) upstairs rads (3 rads) piping hot. I have tried bleeding/balancing/removing rads all the usual. The pipes into the downstairs rads are hot but the return pipes are cool. The rads only get about 20% hot.

Hot water working OK.

I have just noticed that when I turn off all my upstairs rads and try to force the flow down the boiler makes some rather large noises and sounds like its fill with water then bang then the boiler shuts off.

Is my pump gone? It's very hot to touch. I have blead the screw - no air.

It does should like it's going round but I can't be sure. I have been advised to try a pub replacement.

What do you think?

Thanks for advance. :evil:

Sponsored Links
undo the screw on the front of the pump have a cloth handy

you can either spin the shaft with a narrow screwdriver

or if you power it on you can see the shaft turning :idea:

undo the screw on the front of the pump have a cloth handy

you can either spin the shaft with a narrow screwdriver

or if you power it on you can see the shaft turning :idea:

Hi, I did undo the screw and loads of water came out. Should I just not worry about the water and remover the screw the whole way??

Sponsored Links
if "loads" of water came out

in laymans terms
it sounds like the pump is sha gged

you could try letting the system pressure down then try removing the screw and see if its running

but i wouldn't be holding your breath fella :idea:

if "loads" of water came out

in laymans terms
it sounds like the pump is sha gged

you could try letting the system pressure down then try removing the screw and see if its running

but i wouldn't be holding your breath fella :idea:
If a new pump at £50 fixed this problem I would be happy.

The pump is also very hot to touch - does this mean anything???

Thanks for your reply. Do you think a fault pump could be causing my problem? Boiler is upstairs.

The pump is also very hot to touch - does this mean anything???

yup means its stuck

undo the screw after lowering the pressure
and use a narrow bladae screwdriver to turn the shaft :idea:

then start saving up your nickels and dimes :LOL:

Just fitted the pump and no difference at all :(

What next? I had the heat on timer so it was on just before I drained it. When I was draining it the water coming out was warm and the kitchen rad was warm so it must be flowing through OK?

Also why when I turn the upstairs rads off does the boiler have a fit and cut out??

Cheers

Sorry just giving this thread a bump.

I really am at the end of my patients here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

What should my next step be?

The living room rad is warm at the top but cold at the bottom. The flow pipe going to the rad is piping hot but the return is only warm. The two problem rads are the two downstairs rads and they are both 'dropped' from above via a flow and return pipe. The kitchen rad is freezing. I can feel the pipework really hot in the wall but then it gets colder about 1.5m from the rad.

Even though these two rads have separate drops could they be linked thus the reason both not heating up?

What should I do next? should i take off the rads and replace them with pipework to see if the pipework heats up and then my rad is the problem?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back