Running earth bonding alongside ring main cables.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, whilst doing some work on my house recently I decided it would be a good plan to move an existing earth bonding cable so that it ran under galvanised capping alongside 2 cables which form part of the downstairs ring. However a friend called round the other day and told me that he doesn't think this is safe/acceptable. My friend is a plumber, and has his part P cert, so am inclined to believe him, but would be interested to hear any other views before going through the hassle of moving it.

Sponsored Links
The only problem is that galvanised capping is not designed to provide exposed protection against mechanical damage.

The galvanised capping was already in place - presumably to protect the existing ring main cables, which travel down the back of the wall, then through it to supply a socket on the other side - all I've done is move the earth bonding, which was originally clipped round a doorframe and along a skirting board.

The galvanised capping was, and soon will again be buried under plaster.

Sponsored Links
The galvanised capping was, and soon will again be buried under plaster.

In that case, there isn't a problem.

Excellent, - thanks for that. I appreciate that galvanised capping doesn't provide the mechanical protection necessary to protect concealed cable, but as it's presumably been there for yonks I'll leave it alone.

My friend is a plumber, and has his part P cert, so am inclined to believe him,

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Very believable. Did you know that there is no such thing as a "Part P Certificate"??

It may be that he has done a quickie course that gives him limited scope to carry out minor works in association with his plumbing works. He may be authorised to notify these works to the local authority (in accordance with Building Regulations, Part P).
I'd query that he could give definitive and correct answers to questions relating to BS7671.

My friend is a plumber, and has his part P cert, so am inclined to believe him,

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Very believable. Did you know that there is no such thing as a "Part P Certificate"??

No, I didn't realise there was no such thing as a part P certificate - they were my (incorrect) words, not my friends. He did tell me that he had been on a course which was somehow related to part P which he needed as he does have to do some electrical work associated with his job.

Yes indeed, and as I said

It may be that he has done a quickie course that gives him limited scope to carry out minor works in association with his plumbing works. He may be authorised to notify these works to the local authority (in accordance with Building Regulations, Part P).

The courses and the "qualification" are very limited in what they teach. Usually they are max 5 days.

Edit

The Defined Scope course covers minor electrical work (level B), successful completion of which will allow participants to apply for membership of a Part P Defined Scope Competent Persons Scheme. This will allow self certification of minor electrical work carried out including work such as fitting an electric shower adding some extra sockets.

Basically enough to know what to do if a new spur is required for a boiler, or how to wire up a thermostat. But it does not include more detailed stuff (like changing a consumer unit). I believe that defined scope folk can't do that.

The galvanised capping was already in place - presumably to protect the existing ring main cables, which travel down the back of the wall, then through it to supply a socket on the other side.
Is the wall ≤ 100mm thick and can the position of the socket be determined from the side where the cables are?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back