Moss on recently replaced roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that there have been a lot of threads on a similar subject but I wondered if anyone could answer these specific questions please?

We had our slate roof replaced about 12 months ago (a lot of the original slate was reused, with new/reclaimed slate as required). No problem with the quality of the roofing work carried out, but have noticed a few patches of moss forming on both faces of the roof.

First question - is this necessarily a problem?

Second question - I don't recall seeing much moss on the roof before the roof was replaced, obviously the insulation was upgraded at the same time (superquilt) so could the resulting change in temperature of the roof surface be causing the problem?

Third question - If it is a potential problem what is the best - longest lasting cure?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is only one good philosophy to keep a roof for a longtime : Keep it clean.
The insulation should not affect the external envelope. There should be a ventilated gap above the quilt, so both sides of the slates are broadly at the same temperature.
There is no lasting cure. Slates have very little water absorbtion, so you already have a suitable material. Try Mossgo-Pro, with a surface biocide the roof undergoes a deep cleaning, and the product goes into the laps, killing some algae dwelling there. It is not permanent, but it will clean for the longest period of all the methods available.

I don't recall seeing much moss on the roof ...... could the resulting change in temperature of the roof surface be causing the problem?

It's nothing to do with the temperature of the roof (its still very cold outside :rolleyes: ).

If there really was no moss before, then the older slates have weathered to a more rougher surface which more readily allows moss to grow//grip, the new slates may additionally have a mineral within them which certain moss likes

It's not a problem unless the moss grows to an extent where it pushes the slates up

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back