Need to adjust uPVC front door - but how??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's catching on the floor. Which hinge do I need to adjust - top/middle/bottom or do I just try them all and see what works? Please help me avoid an hour or more of frustration!

Sponsored Links
Depends what hinges you have, flag or butt..

Flag hinges will have a small plastic bung that covers an allen headed screw that will move the door back and forward, butt hinges have cross headed screws to adjust but nowhere near as much as the flag type hinge.

Having said all that it probably needs to be toe and heeled properly to lift the lock side of the door leaf.
http://www.doubleglazing.com/diy_toeing_heeling.htm

I have tryed an allen key on our door but it does not seem to move. The door has dropped slightly and is catching and I think its the hinge BUT I cannot seem to move it. Any suggestions?

Pics attached...

frontdoor2.jpg

frontdoor1.jpg

Cheers

John

The second picture shows a hole in the end of the flag hinge, with an allen key this will move the door sideways in the frame, sometimes you can stop the door catching by winding the top over to the right and the bottom over to the left using the centre hinge as the pivot, i did notice in the first picture though that there is no more sideways adjustment left as the door sash is hard up against the hinge.

The other adjustment left is the up and down, look under each hinge pin and you should see an allen key type hole, this is a bolt and if wound up will push the hinge pins up which in turn lifts the door up squarely in the frame, my advice is just do the middle one till it stops catching then wind the others up taking the slack out so that you have equal weight/pressure on all 3 pins give or take

Sponsored Links
Agreed, toe and heeling would sort it, at the same time i'd lower all the hinge pins and reset the hinges into their middle settings for the side to side movement that way you've stopped the door catching and gained back all your adjustments for future use if it drops again

Good point crank, its ok (good) to toe and heel, totally useless unless the hinges are set to a 'mid' setting.

And people, its not hard to do!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back