Did i need planning permission? If so what do I do now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend fitted a new garage roof to our existing garage.
We previously had a flat asbestos roof and he changed it to an apex roof with a maximum height of 2.8 metres.
He told us we did not need planning permission.
Is this correct?
If not, what do I need to do now the roof is already on?

Sponsored Links
Well as the height of your garage is now 2.8m and one of the restrictions applied by Permitted Development is

Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.

You do appear to be infringing upon Planning Rules. I wouldn't lose any sleep about it, unless you get a letter from the council. You may want to tell your 'friend' to read up on Planning Law before he really leaves someone in the doodar.

Sponsored Links
Well as the height of your garage is now 2.8m and one of the restrictions applied by Permitted Development is

Maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwellinghouse.

You do appear to be infringing upon Planning Rules. I wouldn't lose any sleep about it, unless you get a letter from the council. You may want to tell your 'friend' to read up on Planning Law before he really leaves someone in the doodar.

Thanks for the reply.
He told me that the maximum height was 3m. I guess you shouldn't take people's word for it hey? I guess we learn by our mistakes.
Thanks again.

He told me that the maximum height was 3m. I guess you shouldn't take people's word for it hey? I guess we learn by our mistakes.
Thanks again.
Your friend is not responsible for ensuring your property is inline with P.P.

YOU are.

Hi

It may be your friend has got a bit confused! With permitted development you are allowed to build a single storey extension to a distance of 3 metre's out from the existing building line.

However, you would still require Building Reg. approval

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back