Leaking shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having trouble with my shower and am lost as to what I should do next. I have a quadrant shower enclosure in the corner of the room, with a frameless door and two side panels connected to the wall.

Problem 1:
I've had trouble with the door leaking for 3 years now. Where the door hinges on the vertical metal post, at the bottom of this post are two oblong openings. I originally had sealant around the bottom covering these openings but then realised that any water gettting into the groove of the post would then collect inside and not be able to escape, so I removed the sealant and water now runs out the holes onto the carpet. There is also a notch cut out of the glass on this side which is partially covered by the plastic seal that fits along the underside of the door. Can you tell me whether these holes should/need to be filled with sealant and how I stop the water coming out! Why are they there anyway?!

Problem 2:

I've only just realised that a small amount of water comes out the shower where one of the side panels is attached to the tiled wall, right at the bottom by the skirting and onto the carpet. It looks like this has been happening for some time as the skirting is damaged. The inside and outside of the side panel is sealed against the wall, so the water isn't leaking out there (originally it leaked through the floor there to downstairs as the plumber hadn't sealed it properly but it's fine in that respect now). Since the grout has worn off that surrounded the plate that the mixer tap is on I've now put sealant round there. I've also put sealant inside the shower right in the corner where the tiles meet at right angles. Again it was only grouted here and had started to crack.

The water is still leaking though. I don't know what to do next. All the sealant looks intact. Really don't want to call a plumber but I think the only option is to have the shower dismantled and started again and I really can't afford that!

Help! :confused:

Sponsored Links
For a start I would remove ALL the sealant from the inside and outside .Then ONLY reseal from the outside using a quality sealant.

Tile grout isn't waterproof. All 'water resistant tile grout' means is the grout itself is unaffected by the water that soaks through it.

Thoroughly clean out the old sealant and tile grout before re-sealing, removing all dust, water, grease, soap scum etc. Wiping everything down with methylated spirits helps the sealant achieve a good bond.

Use a good quality sanitary sealant. Seal the verticals on the inside of the shower screen, and seal around the base from the outside, extending up the verticals a short distance, or all the way if you wish.
That way, any water getting into channel sections etc runs down to the bottom where it can freely run back into the shower tray.

If you seal the base from inside, water can build up in the channel sections etc. until it passes the outer seal, and run out onto the floor.

Thanks for the advice. Well I thought I'd found the leak. I directed the shower head against the glass side panel where the glass joins the vertical (which is in turn fixed to the wall) and it caused the water to leak by the skirting board. That suggested that the water is getting into the vertical and running down the inside of it and out the other side, so I sealed the glass where it is inserted into the vertical. This hasn't worked!

I understand the reasons for not sealing the base from the inside, but this since the enclosure is frameless, not only does it look strange with no sealant around the bottom of the glass, it doesn't work! I've tried everything now, without sealant on the inside and with sealant.

I've added some photos. The first one is me pointing to where the water is leaking out. The second is where the notch is cut out of the glass door that I'm not sure whether I should have the door seal covering. The third shows the hinge of the door where I've left one of the holes uncovered so the water in the groove of the vertical can run back into the tray. The fourth and fifth show where I've sealed the inside of the glass.

I'm really fed up with this now!

View media item 28188 View media item 28189 View media item 28190 View media item 28191 View media item 28192

Sponsored Links
Now I've discovered the water is leaking downstairs. AARRGGHH! Is there anyone out there familiar with a frameless quadrant shower like mine who can tell me exactly which bits should be sealed?

:mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back