Moving Cooker Electric Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing up a kitchen. The previous owners had an electric cooker, which I've replaced for a gas one. The new position of the gas cooker means that the old electric switch is right behind and above the new cooker's position. I don't need the switch. I can move it by chipping the old plaster away etc..., but would prefer to leave it where it is, and plaster over it. Is there a way to safely leave it where it is, terminate it, and make good by plastering over?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Why not just replace the switch with a blanking plate, just in case you or someone else wants it in the future.

I'd quite like to tile behind the cooker and not have it there ...

disconnect the cable from the CU cover the end in adhesive lined heatshrink (just in case someone recconnects is) and then plaster straight over it.

you could also use the cable to feed a socket (with the fuse/breaker in the CU suitablly downrated) if you prefer

Sponsored Links
Sounds great - is the adhesive lined heatshrink easy to get hold of?

i think maplin sell it not sure

you need to get the heatshrink hot to make it shrink. The side of a soldering iron or a hot air paintsripping gun should be hot enough

also you should close the end with pliers or similar while it is hot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back