Lighting cable problem advice please

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two bedrooms each with a wall light.

Supply runs straight from the CU to the first light.

Cable runs up the wall across the loft down the other bedroom wall to provide the supply to the other rooms wall light

No switches wall lights have there own built in switch.

First supply runs fine. Second outlet (light fitting removed) showing voltage of 1v using my megger

Normally i would suspect firstly a poor connection secondly a knicked wire.

Checked all visible connections in cable run and at the CU. No problems

Checked all visible wiring for rodent damage , no problem

IR test all showing >299 although i did get one live to earth as 39.2 but still acceptable. I got this reading when i trapped the earth wire against one of the rafters to ensure a good purchase when testing.

So i can now only think its a hidden connection in the wall thats gone or possible a knick in the cable running down the wall.

Have i missed something is there any other possiblility.

Just as a passing comment i use a voltage indicator stick just as a quick cable live check. When i have completely disconnected the power to the cable and disconnected from the first light where the power goes to and switched the MCB to off, it still lights up and vibrates when i run it along the CPC conductor in that cable. Phase conductor no problem Neutral no problem. The house used to have a electronic damp proof course this is totaly disconnected from the supply but a cable does run somewhere to the walls from the transformer. Could this be having an effect ?

Sponsored Links
Do a continuity test on the phase and neutral from the first light to the second, should show up if there's a break.

PJ

• Thanks
Reactions: STI
Did that and it was ok but i will try again and waggle the cable a bit more. Im still confused over the "live" indication on the earth conductor The cable was literaly connected to nothing other than a terminal block at one end where it stuck out the wall which i put on for safety whilst i was up in the loft and thin air the other end waiting for me to connect the meter to it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back