CCTV advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I ran CAT6 cable throughout my shop before we plasterboarded and now we are nearing second fix I've started to think about cameras etc.

Given I know NOTHING about CCTV - can anyone help?

I would like to install relatively discreet white dome cameras - from where? they seem quite expensive . . . I have 7 locations.

then what do I hook them all up to?

thanks!

Sponsored Links
What sort of shop?
What is the layout of the shop, is it likley to change?
Where did you run cables to?
Will it be correctly lit, be at bottle points?
Will it monitor the till (s) ?
Will the stock room be covered?
How long do you want a recording to last?
What detail are you looking for?
Are you only looking for theft from outsiders not staff?

What ?
If ?
Maybe?
List goes on.

Get a few quotes from local registered security companies. Sit with each surveyor and tell them what you believe you need and what can be provided.
No one with more than one brain cell can advise on cctv protection without a survey, let alone an alarm system.

Question to you.
You ran the Cat cable, and plasterboared.
How yu going to find the cables?

What sort of shop? a delicatessen/coffee shop
What is the layout of the shop, is it likley to change? have completely rebuild shop - so no, it is not going to change for a while
Where did you run cables to? to what seemed like obvious points - one that could see the front door, one the till, one the rear wash area, one the coffee area, one the retial area
Will it be correctly lit, be at bottle points? I hope it will be correctly lit, though its the first time I designed a lighting setup so will soon find out . . .
Will it monitor the till (s) ? yes
Will the stock room be covered? no
How long do you want a recording to last? presume this depends on memory these days?
What detail are you looking for? frankly, don't really like the idea of CCTV but seemed like given the building was back to it's bare bones I'd have been mad not to pull the cable while I had the chance - detail? not sure . .
Are you only looking for theft from outsiders not staff? to hopefully deter shop lifting from customers and filching from staff

What ?
If ?
Maybe?
List goes on.

Get a few quotes from local registered security companies. Sit with each surveyor and tell them what you believe you need and what can be provided.
No one with more than one brain cell can advise on cctv protection without a survey, let alone an alarm system.

Question to you.
You ran the Cat cable, and plasterboared.
How yu going to find the cables?
er, after we skimmed we pulled it out of plasterboard . . . .

I realise my post was vague! can you dvise as to where to buy cost effective white dome cameras?

White domes?

http://www.1topstore.com/product_info.php?language=en&currency=GBP&products_id=8547

Dinky domes.

http://www.henrys.co.uk/cctv/covert_colour_cctv_camera.html

Black/white

http://www.cctvcamerastore.co.uk/cctvequipment/External-Day-Night-CCTV-Dome-Camera-.html

As for DVR`s, you as cameras get what you pay for. 250hd 7 cams hmmmmmmm
7 cams 1TB good.

As before, get a quote. You might have to depend on what is recorded in a court of law. Incorrect time or a possibly corrupted or distorted/tamperd recording could fail your case.
Also you have to display signs saying the area is monotored and the controlling body/company. Again law.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back