DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Trianco Eurostar combi 90 oil boiler thermostat B tripping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
diylearnerA1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote

Please HELP icon_sad.gif

My 12 year old Trianco Eurostar combi 90 oil boiler starts ok but after about 10 mins the thermostat B trips and switches the boiler off. I have just turned the boiler on after its summer rest. There is no hot water. I dont think the central heating pump is running either. Is the central heating pump causing the problem or is it something else? I have checked water levels and they are ok and I bled the pipework on top of the boiler.

Any suggestions would be much thanked.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Tibbot

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote

Pump failure would cause overheat stat to trip. The impeller might just be stuck. Have you not used it for HW during its Summer rest?

Last edited by Tibbot on Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total
The following user says thank you to Tibbot for this useful post:
diylearnerA1 (24 Nov 2010)
 Alert Moderators
spraggo

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote

diylearnerA1 wrote:
Please HELP icon_sad.gif

My 12 year old Trianco Eurostar combi 90 oil boiler starts ok but after about 10 mins the thermostat B trips and switches the boiler off. I have just turned the boiler on after its summer rest. There is no hot water. I dont think the central heating pump is running either. Is the central heating pump causing the problem or is it something else? I have checked water levels and they are ok and I bled the pipework on top of the boiler.

Do you mean the reset button on the boiler that is tripping out, when you say the central heating pump, do you mean the boiler motor?. If so have you had the boiler serviced lately?. More info required.
regards

spraggo
The following user says thank you to spraggo for this useful post:
 Alert Moderators
onlyfitidealboilers

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:06 pm Reply with quote

fit a new one, thats good advice icon_wink.gif
The following user says thank you to onlyfitidealboilers for this useful post:
 Alert Moderators
crockett

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote

diylearnerA1 wrote:
Please HELP icon_sad.gif

A new pump may be required. You can coax it along by removing the chrome screw ( dependent on model ) and turning the impeller with a screwdriver, if it is seized then get your wallet out icon_smile.gif
The following user says thank you to crockett for this useful post:
diylearnerA1 (6 Feb 2011)
 Alert Moderators
diylearnerA1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote

Do you mean the reset button on the boiler that is tripping out, when you say the central heating pump, do you mean the boiler motor?. If so have you had the boiler serviced lately?. More info required.
regards

spraggo[/quote]

Hi Spraggo
No not the reset button. I meant the boiler thermostat button (hidden away in the dark that you have to grope in to find).
No the motor that drives the oil pump and fan is running great. It is the heating circulating pump that is dead.

Many thanks!!
 Alert Moderators
diylearnerA1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote

A new pump may be required. You can coax it along by removing the chrome screw ( dependent on model ) and turning the impeller with a screwdriver, if it is seized then get your wallet out icon_smile.gif[/quote]

Hi
In my excitement armed with a screwdriver I tried to get at the crome screw. It is jammed in behind the pipework so can only get the screwdriver in at a steep angle... then the water started to come out... I guess I need to drain it down first....

Many thanks.
 Alert Moderators
Burnerman

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote

The overheat stat will always trip out if the heating system can't disperse the heat that the boiler is producing. Therefore you need to determine if the water circulating pump is actually spinning......if you remove the central chrome screw (prepare for some spillage) you can spin the pump impeller with a small screwdriver - this may get the thing going.
Also check for 240 volts to the pump when the system calls for heat.
If there is a voltage present, but the pump still doesn't want to know, a new pump is needed.
John icon_smile.gif
The following user says thank you to Burnerman for this useful post:
 Alert Moderators
diylearnerA1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote

Tibbot wrote:
Pump failure would cause overheat stat to trip. The impeller might just be stuck. Have you not used it for HW during its Summer rest?

Hi
No it has been switched off totally since April.

Now I will try and see if I can get the impeller to turn- if not I will buy new pump.

Many many thanks for all your help!!!!
 Alert Moderators
diylearnerA1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote

Burnerman wrote:
The overheat stat will always trip out if the heating system can't disperse the heat that the boiler is producing. Therefore you need to determine if the water circulating pump is actually spinning......if you remove the central chrome screw (prepare for some spillage) you can spin the pump impeller with a small screwdriver - this may get the thing going.
Also check for 240 volts to the pump when the system calls for heat.
If there is a voltage present, but the pump still doesn't want to know, a new pump is needed.
John icon_smile.gif

Hi John
There is absolutely no action going on in my pump. When it was working and I put my hand on it I could feel it running. Im going to check the impeller and I will check for the voltage as well as you suggested.

Many many thanks!!
 Alert Moderators
diylearnerA1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote

I just thought you would like to know that it was the pump and a new one got the problem sorted!
Anyone else stuck with this problem might like to know that when I turned the isolating valves off to get the pump out both of the little devils started dripping. They refused to stop. Then the drain cock decided it would jam so I couldnt drain the system easily. I had to disconnect some pipework from the bottom of the radiator... I then took the isolating valves off and laid them to rest in the bin... then of course the straight connectors I replaced them with were different lengths so more pipe work needed changing... many trips to the DIY store and many hours later soggy and frozen I turned the boiler back on and hey presto there was warmth:lol:
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: