Efflorescence on limelite plastered walls after mist coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had the plaster on my lounge walls hacked off back to brickwork up to a metre and a limelite plaster appiled. After a week I mist coated with a watered down cheap matt emulsion the next day a white fluffy substance appeared on the surface which I then brushed off only for it then re-appear. Curious to whether it was salt I had a taste and it was.

I'm hoping that it is just the wall drying out and when it is dry this substance will stop showing on the surface?
Have I mist coated too early and what would be the best action from here?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I assume this was part of a damp course treatment ?

Have you had a damp course installed and did the limelite contain waterproofer ?

It's unlikely to be because of your mist coat as salts on the skin are born out of moisture passing through the wall and the salts are left as a deposit usually a result of rising damp.

I would just brush the salts off, it is part and parcel of the wall drying out after having damp-proofing treatment...

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses

I haven't had a damp injection but the works are related to a damp issue.

The walls in my lounge were getting damp patches on both external and internal walls. I thought the problem was rising damp but when I had a damp surveyor look at it he said the problem was down to hydroscopic salts present in the old plaster (browning) attracting atmospheric moisture. I was told that although I only have a slate dpc that it was sound enough and the remedy would be to hack off the defective plaster in areas and apply limelite. Thought it would be worth hacking off all round up to a metre rather than just around the damp patches.

So that what has been done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back