Patching up old wood lath and plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to patch up parts of old wood lath and plaster where the wood is exposed, what should I use? Also there are quite a few areas where the render is loose and no longer attached to the lath at all. Of course one option would be to remove the whole lot and whack up wallboard but that would be very dusty and involve emptying the bedroom of its furniture, is there a less drastic way of tackling the problem? Cheers :cool:

Sponsored Links
I suppose it depends on the area, I had small patches, I just put plaster on it. Been there for a few years now.

Cut away plaster a few inches away from the loose areas,
Clean it down with a brush and water, plus rake out between the laths.
PVA over the whole area, especially the existing edges.
Fill it out to half thickness,
Scratch it,, let it set,
Bring it out flush ready to finish with multi.

I "always" skim the whole wall/s after patching the loose areas.

Sponsored Links
Roughcaster thanks for your detailed response but after what you said I think that in reality I'm going to have to remove all of the old plaster back to the lath because all of it is loose. Then I guess wallboard is the quickest and easiest option? but if I wanted to give it a scratch coat would I use bonding? Cheers

If it's all loose Biz, then you're right, it's better to remove the old plaster. You might be able to leave the old wooden lath on though, and board on top of that. If you do it that way, give the lath a good clean off, and make sure all the remnants of plaster are removed, so that the wall board lays flat onto the lath. Fix it on with plenty of 35mm drywall screws.
I always use bonding coat to plaster back onto wooden lath, whether it's a patch or a whole wall/ceiling. I reinforce "across" the lath between the backing coats too, with 3" hessian scrim..

its like micky mouse in fantasia, if only he could apply the same knife trick to bringing muck up the stairs from the mixer and on to the board :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back