Transfer question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have 12 video8 tapes which I would like to transfer to DVD. The player I had has broken. I would like to do it myself if poss as I don't like the idea of sending 20 years of memories through the post. Also what format would it need to be so that it is editable. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
In the main 8mm video tapes are the type used in camcorders. Analogue and mono. Since analogue it is down to player (Normally the camera) as to what format and mainly composite sync using a phono plug yellow video and need to combine other as mono for sound.

My DVD recorder and my old VCR both have this input. My computer TV card also has this input but it is not original for computer but add on card.

With the computer the default record method is Mpeg although others can be used. With DVD recorder it just plays on most other DVD players and it seems one has to be careful over + and - DVD's and also to finish off the DVD before other players will play it. Unless re-recordable types are used.

However until one can get something to play them on it is really all in vain. I had loads of V2000 tapes all had to be binned as could not find a player for them.

The smaller tapes are digital

I thought Video8 had stereo sound. It was one of the key benefits of 8mm over early VHS-C in the battle of the compact video tape formats.

Anyway, if your player is broken then the first thing you'll need is a replacement player - a camcorder or a Video8 deck will do. A Hi8 camcorder will also play V8 tapes and give you an S-video connection to the recording device - so that's worth bearing in mind. This might be something you pick up s/h, or you could think about contacting the local cine & video enthusiasts club if there's one in your area (LINK) to see if someone can lend or hire you something.

Next, to capture and edit the footage the best method would be a PC capture card and some editing software. You'll then burn the result to DVD using an authoring package that will help you put chapters and a DVD front page on each disc. I'd also recommend making backup copies of the raw footage on to disc. The capture card will probably give you some options on capture format. I've used AVI format in the past with good results. :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back