Extractor and dimmer question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, is it possible for a dimmer switch to trigger a timed and humidity detecting extractor fan in the same way a normal switch would? I'm in France where dimmers are allowed in bathrooms btw. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I guess if there was enough current passing to operate a small relay capable of taking the supply voltage that would in turn switch a circuit to operate the fan. Get an AVO (multimeter) and see what you've got V & A wise and then see what relay would work, try it all out on a bench mock up before you install.

can you have sockets in bathrooms in france, here they have to be 3 mtrs horizontal from the edge of zone one meaning you need an extension lead to put the telly next to the bath :LOL:

If you search google for fantronix.com they make dimmers especially for extractor fans.

It wouldn't let me cut and paste the site.

Thanks Tony, I'll test it if you think I won't damage either the fan or the switch.
The fantronix site has dimmers to control fan speed but not actual light switches. At least I couldn't see them.
We can have sockets at least 60cm from the bath or sink over here. Just within reach.

Sponsored Links
if you can't reach the telly from the bath then just use the remote...

If you mean that the dimmer is used to control a light but also to activate the switched live to a timer fan: Yes it can - regardless of its setting high or low. The 'trigger' gate for a standard timer fan will activate on any impulse however low, and then the permanent live takes care of the actual running of the fan.

Lucia.

If you mean that the dimmer is used to control a light but also to activate the switched live to a timer fan: Yes it can - regardless of its setting high or low. The 'trigger' gate for a standard timer fan will activate on any impulse however low, and then the permanent live takes care of the actual running of the fan.

Lucia.
Well Lucia, I've learnt something new there. I had always believed that the switched live ran the fan and that when switched off, the permanent live took over and ran for the preset time - if that is not the case how does the fan get switched off in the scenario you describe?

No, Riveralt, that isn't the case. The switched live merely triggers the timing sequence for the permanent live to takeover straightaway.

You can prove this to yourself next time you're installing a timer fan: Try to wire it with just S/L & N - nothing will happen, it just won't work.

The S/L is merely the trigger to fire the timer sequence and it can be activated by the smallest of impulses such as that from a rotary type dimmer on its lowest setting.

Try it, and you'll see.......

Lucia.

Yes, thanks Lucia. I was hoping that would be the case. I understood the theory of the switched live but wasn't sure if it work at its lowest setting.

As above, the switched live only provides a start / stop signal to turn the fan on, or start the over-run timer when turned off.

The required signal level on the switched live is so low that sometimes just the capacitive coupling within the cables can be enough to start the fan if the switched live is taken from a low energy lamp fitting.

A traditional filament lamp harmlessly shunts the capacative coupling voltages where low energy lamps often do not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back