Recommend me a house alarm please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of getting the Secware Texecom 6 PIR Complete Kit from here securitywarehouse.co.uk for £140.

I have a two-bed semi-detached house, with large garden workshop. Questions:

• The kitchen is very large could I use two PIRs in the kitchen or do they interfere with each other?
    Could I use one PIR in my shed? (it is about 20 metres down the garden from the house) or is that a no-no for some reason? (range? interference? false alarms?)
thanks for any advice. I will be fitting it myself so ease of fitting would be appreciated, as well as for time issues. I am very DIY competent.[/url]

Sponsored Links
YALE premium 6400 has lots of excellent features if your going DIY route

I'm thinking of getting the Secware Texecom 6 PIR Complete Kit from here securitywarehouse.co.uk for £140.

I have a two-bed semi-detached house, with large garden workshop. Questions:

• The kitchen is very large could I use two PIRs in the kitchen or do they interfere with each other?
    Could I use one PIR in my shed? (it is about 20 metres down the garden from the house) or is that a no-no for some reason? (range? interference? false alarms?)
thanks for any advice. I will be fitting it myself so ease of fitting would be appreciated, as well as for time issues. I am very DIY competent.[/url]

Your secware kit looks ok and as above, the powermax is really good kit too.

There are no interference issues with having 2 pir's in the same room.

Dont fit pir detectors to sheds as these will cause you problems with drafts and temperature changes. Some people might say, "well fit a dualtec", but you might find it hard to contain the mw

Stay away from Yale alarms as imo these offer no real deterrence

Good luck ;)

Sponsored Links
It is best practise to have different technologies in the same room.
As in a PIR and a Dual Tech (Microwave).

How large is the kitchen as most detectors have a 15 mtr range. You can get longer of course. I would be looking at protecting any areas which can be accessed. Could be a pain taking cables to those areas though. Why a Powermax + could make sence, but it is more expensive.
Would also make the garage detector more viable. The range as long as there is not a lot of metal/other wirless devices near is fine.

And your opinion is based on what?
Facts? Stats?........ Or...........b+#@&x?

spacecat, FORUM = OPINIONS, seems like you cant deal with that you silly man :(

Question for our pal billy burglar

two houses, one with a elmdene rapier on the front and the other with a yale bellbox.

Which house would you attempt to rob.

ok will check out Visonic Powermax or Visonic Powermax plus thanks. Kitchen not that big too be honest! You can kind of see it here: (it's the full width extension).

I did the decking myself ;)

deck7.jpg

I've recently found out that these UPVC doors are not very burglar-safe (even though they look good).

Wirefree as much as poss would certainly help with installation.

Good choice, you wont go wrong with the powermax, cost abit more but its your security at the end of the day.

Nice one ;)

ok it's a lot of money £307 inc VAT and delivery but do you think this is the most suitable version for my house?

PowerMax Plus Wireless Intruder Alarm - Kit 2:
http://www.sdfirealarms.co.uk/shop/powermaxpluswirelessintruderalarmkit2-p-526.html

Kit Contents

* 1 x PowerMax+ Panel
* 1 x External Wireless Siren
* 2 x Keyfob (MCT-234)
* 2 x Door Contact (MCT-302)
* 3 x Pet Tolerant PIR's (K985)

I'm thinking:
One door contact on my UPVC french doors shown above.
One door contact on my front door.
One PIR in the kitchen shown above
One PIR in the upstairs rear bedroom visible in the pic above
One PIR in the front room

seem sensible?

spacecat, FORUM = OPINIONS, seems like you cant deal with that you silly man :(

Question for our pal billy burglar

two houses, one with a elmdene rapier on the front and the other with a yale bellbox.

Which house would you attempt to rob.

You have absolutely NO evidence to suggest that is true its pure speculation

Most burglars atempting to rob a house would expect one with an alarm to make a noise. An super dooper alarm might make them think you have more to hide so it might attract them rather than deter.

do you have any evidence of better, reliability and break in deterrent of v expensive alarms.. If not...your talking c#@p

~First of all, the decking has a trip hazzard on the left of the photo. Nice though, you seem to be handy with a few planks and screws.

Spacething, your being a troll.
From many years of experience a low life robber will always target a DIY install.
Whom ever makes it, they will target first.

OP sounds sensible enough. You can add to the system as funds become available. 28 wireless devices and two hard wired. You have two windows on a flat roof, protect them.

agree, also you might need 2 sets of contacts for those french doors.

looks good though ;)

From many years of experience a low life robber will always target a DIY install.
Whom ever makes it, they will target first.

From many years of installing over priced alarms with ridiculous maintenance contracts you mean

You managed to troll 2 of my threads already so your hardly one to talk

Lke I said you have NO evidence whatsoever NO STATS, NO FACTS, NO SURVEYS ........NOTHING to suggest that a so called 'professional' alarm is in any way MORE of a deterrent than a DIY job

Burglars target Weak Spots:Easy Access, Weak locks, places where they cannot be seen such as side entrances , confirming whether anyone is in or not.

The average Burglar is an opportunist and will take these things into account and if they see an alarm its something to be overcome DIY or NOT, they will work out whether its worth the risk or not.

Most Burglars No that RESPONSE alarms are not worth the worry as no one will turn up for ages long enough for them to ransack the place anyway

Any alarm correctly fitted will ring if one of the intrusion points are triggered £250 job or £2500 job(inc Joke maintenance contract)

If they really want to break in and maybe think you must have loads of stuff worth nicking because you have spent £3000 on alarm that might attract them to the place knowing that the response is likely to be pathetically slow.

Even if the deterrent factor was slightly higher and that hasnt been PROVEN is the additional percentage worth thousands more?

I dont think so its all about weighing up the cost versus the risk.
For the majority of average householders a highly visible alarm inc DIY coupled with good doors locks and well a lit entrance and rear its probably more than enough

Damn your really frsutrated are you not?
A good system fitted and not looking like a lash up ( which you seem to advocate) is incorrect? In your obviously high opinion.

A fine fitted and signed intruder system is more of a deterrent than a DIY piece of carp. Even a dummy sounder with a known label is better than nothing.
You seem to have a distinct adversion to companies who provide a good service.
As for surveys, contact your local police station and ask for the PCO in charge of security advice.

Keep trolling, people will see you for what you are.

Also, your advice on perimiter security is indeed correct.
Stop the intrusion.
Alarms are secondary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back