Glow-worm Compact 100P Low Water Pressure Flashing alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The pilot light on this boiler would flame out every 2nd to 3rd week with the CH running. It would relight without too much fuss, although I would have to push the gas knob in again, even after the pilot was lit, once demand was made (CH demand was enough) to get the burner to fire up.

Then the pilot died and I tried the above, and it fired up for about a minute and made the clicks and shut down. It did that a few times until I clicked for the last time.

A (plumber) engineer came round and assessed the fan had gone (fair because it is old and noisy) He replaced that and it immediately started flashing its low water pressure led (red) even though he a) didn't go near any water or gas systems on it b) it has ample pressure (1.2 - 1.5bar) The fan runs, but the pump won't start. He tried a new pump but still it flashes. Air pipes are on correctly.

Does anyone know why and what I can check/reset?

I have a glow worm engineer appointment booked, but hoping its simple enough (probably not)

Sponsored Links
I should add, the pilot does fire up just fine still and the Fan runs (on slow).

It could be the low pressure switch faulty or blocked and not sensing system pressure,or the pressure guage is faulty and giving incorrect reading.Either way involves depressurising boiler and removing switch assy.

One wonders what kind of ( plumber) engineer could not deal with such a simple fault !

Tony

Sponsored Links
A very friendly and responsive plumber (happily came out of hours at no charge) I might add, but possibly not the the best trouble-shooter. I actually found this suggestion previously on this forum and suggested it to him and he then checked it and it was clean.

The manufacturers engineer is here.. i've got my cold fingers crossed. Will feedback.

If he is a Homeserve engineer then dont expect too much!

I went to an installation where one of them could not identify a blocked plate heat exchanger and replaced the temperature sensor and wondered why that did not fix it !

Tell us what he found!

It may well be a faulty pressure switch. They take about 20 seconds to test with a multimeter but to do that you have to know how to use the meter!

Tony

Engineer came out (not homeserve) and.... cleaned the low pressure switch! Well done! (plumber must have lied about cleaning it)

Engineer spent two hours tinkering and phoning-a-friend, so there must be alot more wrong, or atleast i think because else thats a very expensive switch cleaning. Its now back to its old problem again, although instead of 2-3weeks.. its 2-3hrs before shutdown :(

He'll be back on Monday.

Thanks guys.

D

Maybe the plumber only cleaned the outside of the switch?

Its better to get a boiler engineer for a boiler!

Tell us about the other boiler problem and we will tell you whats likely to be wrong.

Tony

Thanks Agile, thats a kind offer I can't refuse..

Since the engineers visit, the burner and the pilot go out roughly every 2hours, but I rekon I can get it to go out by opening and closing the DHW supply a few times while the CH is going. He said he did make adjustments to something, perhaps they were a bit too aggressive.

The written procedure to relight is to run DHW, push the gas knob and hold for 10-15sec, while operating the piezo. I get it going by holding it 5-7sec with just CH running. In fact the pilot comes on no probs but burner doesn't fire immediately, I have to push the gas knob down a further few seconds. If I release that too quickly, both burner and pilot cut out. I'm never in the room when it shuts down, so I don't know what clicks/noises it makes at the time.

Engineer is back on Monday, I'm braced for another 20-25 relights over the weekend. Its good practice.

D

Oh.. possibly also relevant.

One of the Rads leaks, but I've shut that one down before all this started. The other TRV's aren't in the best shape either but the boiler only very slowly (over a couple of weeks) looses pressure. Its doing what its currently doing with the pressure at about 1.2 - 1.5bar

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back