Flue / horizontal or inclined on a non condensing boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a kitchen refit which involved moving the boiler about 20 cms, and as it was part of a fitting package my normal engineer did not do the work

This is a Baxi Non Condensing boiler Solo 3 PFL Range about 8 years old.

After the work was done I noticed that the Boiler Flue coming out the brickwork was inclined upwards. I queried this and was told that this allowed any moisture to drain back.

Realising that this was not a condensing boiler I spoke to my Heating Engineer and he says that on a Non Condensing Boiler the Flue should be fitted horizontally . Also because I live close to the sea and the flue faces the prevailing wind the salt air will make any moisture running back very corrosive and this will corrode the boiler case.

I accept there can be more that one view on these things and its always difficult when you are in the middle

I will try the technical help line of Baxi but if anyone has a view on this I would be grateful.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
There cannot be more than one view.It should be fitted as per the manufacturers instructions....end of.

...After the work was done I noticed that the Boiler Flue coming out the brickwork was inclined upwards. I queried this and was told that this allowed any moisture to drain back.

Wrong. That only goes for steamers.

I accept there can be more that one view on these things and its always difficult when you are in the middle

Sorry, wrong again. The boiler manufacturer specifies the angle, nobody can have a view on that. Not one that matters anyway.

Call to gsr will get you an inspection. If it is not good, they will force the installer to rectify it. Are you sure the guy that did it is actually a RGI?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back