Gas Cowl & Wood Burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the process of installing a new wood burning stove. I had the original gas fire removed and the chimney has been swept and smoke tested by a HETAS sweep. Test results have given the all clear.

However we still have the original EC1 gas cowl in the chimney pot. This cowl is not certified for solid fuel and needs to be replaced. I have a Euro Top cowel to replace it, but with the current weather(snow & ice) i cant get anyone to go up on the roof - understandably. Can anyone tell me whether using the EC1 cowel with solid fuel will be dangerous? For instance will it stop the chimney drawing properly? We should be able to get someone to go on the roof as soon as we get a window in the weather, however it would be nice if possible to use the wood burner in the mean time.

Before anyone pulls me up - I am having the installation certified by building control - however they wont pass the installation until the correct cowl is fitted.

Sponsored Links
gas cowl most likley is 125mm,solid fuel 175mm so you migh find the cowl will not cope with the volume of fumes,put the correct one on first ,better safe than sorry

LABC won't pass the installation untill correct terminal is fitted?? I think you have answered your own question!! get reid of the GC1 it is too small and too restrictive for a Wood Burner!! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back