plywood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of laying a plywood floor over a concrete floor (saw it on grand designs)
Is there a recommended plywood type and fixing method. the floor is new damp proof and insulated.
I want to keep it to 15-18 mm thickness.

Sponsored Links
WBP would be the one to use but why do you want to lay ply over a new & insulated concrete floor? What benefits did grand designs give for doing so? Is the ply going to be decorative or are you laying something over the top?

Hi Richard

It's for a decorative effect.
I was hoping it wouldn't expand much and be fairly easy to lay.
What fixing method would you suggest?

Decorative? won't look very nice IMO. Unless on GD they they painted it or somesuch?

You can t&g sheets for flooring, try any timber merchants, but these are for floor structure not finish.

Sponsored Links
I have to agree with Delux, it won’t look very decorative IMO, it’ll look more like a shed. T&G structure flooring or standard WBP will look pretty rough, the only options would be to use Marine ply (which has decorative veneers but is expensive) or a hardwood veneered standard ply but I wouldn’t lay that on a concrete floor.

Why don’t you fit solid hardwood flooring or a cheaper option would be engineered hardwood flooring which is basically has a plywood base with hardwood veneers.

wont look very nice.

Also you need to make sure your concrete base has dried out enough before install.

I.E below 75% rh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back