condensate pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been reading this thread //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=253340

And im a little confused.

Is this the white pipe that comes out the condensing builers that should go to a sewage drain?

I have a issue with my boiler at the moment (heatline vizo) where the divertor valve has done wrong due to water leaking into it from a broken seal in the divertor body.

Anyway, i shut off the taps under the boiler to see what the problem is and drain the boiler, i opened the pressure realise valve in the boiler to let the water out the boiler and water (or i guess acid) came out the white plastic pipe at the same time?

(the white pipe has been disconected from a sewage drain for the time being as building work is going on, the pipe has a bucket underneath at the moment sitting on the garge floor as the garge is newly built, the boiler will be moved soon)

In all the time (3 months maybe) this pipe has been draining into the bucket i have never seen 1 drip of water come out of it?

Should i not be getting water/acid coming out of this pipe? Im not sure if its ever worked as before it went direct into the sewer so could not see.

I have checked teh pluming of it in the boiler and it is connected to a clear pot that does have liquid in it but not over flowing or draining.

Sponsored Links
It is time to get a pro out, as it is quite possible there is now a direct, open connection between the combustion chamber and the garage. If so, this would be classed as immediately dangerous and if caused by poor installation work, it would be a compulsory RIDDOR to HSE.
This type of fault is potentially lethal, turn the boiler off and do not use it again until declared safe by a RGI.

It is time to get a pro out, as it is quite possible there is now a direct, open connection between the combustion chamber and the garage. If so, this would be classed as immediately dangerous and if caused by poor installation work, it would be a compulsory RIDDOR to HSE.
This type of fault is potentially lethal, turn the boiler off and do not use it again until declared safe by a RGI.

Can you explain a bit more for me please, do you mean a fault in the boiler or that the white pipe is not connected to a drain so that emmisions could come from there?

Can you explain a bit more for me please...
I can, but I won't as that would only encourage you to attempt some dangerous diy. I can not judge the situation from behind my keyboard, and thus can only conclude that you have a potentially very dangerous situation depending on exactly where it is going wrong. That should be enough for you to get a pro in.

Sponsored Links

Can you explain a bit more for me please...
I can, but I won't as that would only encourage you to attempt some dangerous diy. I can not judge the situation from behind my keyboard, and thus can only conclude that you have a potentially very dangerous situation depending on exactly where it is going wrong. That should be enough for you to get a pro in.

Well thanks for explaning to me, i have been trying to get someone in and as its 'christmas' nobody seems to want to come to work or supply parts on christmas eve or the next few days.

I cant see why you couldn't spare a few seconds to explane to me the safety issue here. If it is the simple connection of the plastic pipe im sure i could manage to connect it back up as it was only removed due to new front door and some one kicking the bloody pipe off. I have plastic weld ect and enough expearence in welding plastic.

If it is a boiler fault then ye i can understand the boiler been turned off. As it happens the bloody boiler is turned off as its broken.

I simply asked for the reasons why? You lot on here seem to force people into taking stuff apart to see how it works and what is wrong rather than sharing a simple bit of knowledge for someone who is intreted in why something has happened, or why should it be this way.

Im starting to remember why i stopped coming on this forum.

Thanks again and happy christmas.

... i have been trying to get someone in and as its 'christmas' nobody seems to want to come to work or supply parts on christmas eve or the next few days.
Try local independents, they may want a bit more than the standard rate, but I am sure there are several nearby that will be happy to pop around if you explain to them what the problem is. Plenty of people that find an opportunity to earn a few extra bob an excellent excuse to leave the in-laws etc.

I cant see why you couldn't spare a few seconds to explane to me the safety issue here.

Maybe you should read my reply again; I clearly stated that I won't tell you the details because it would only increase the chances of unsafe diy.

... i have been trying to get someone in and as its 'christmas' nobody seems to want to come to work or supply parts on christmas eve or the next few days.
Try local independents, they may want a bit more than the standard rate, but I am sure there are several nearby that will be happy to pop around if you explain to them what the problem is. Plenty of people that find an opportunity to earn a few extra bob an excellent excuse to leave the in-laws etc.

I cant see why you couldn't spare a few seconds to explane to me the safety issue here.

Maybe you should read my reply again; I clearly stated that I won't tell you the details because it would only increase the chances of unsafe diy.

well thanks but i would prefer not to go searching my yellow pages etc for a installer. I will now only use people that are recommened or peopel i can vet myself, like yourself for instance by reading your posts on here and making my own mind up.

Go back to my original question. If the issue your talking about is down to the plastic overflow/drain pipe being disconected then yes i will connect myself as i have expearence in plastic welded pipes along with plumming.

But if it is a issue with the boiler that i shouldnt touch then i will get someone in to fix. I know the basics about boilers but i dont have the knowledge or test equipment to start opening up the insides that have anything to do with the combustion chamber or any of the gas controlls.

End of the day it would be stupid for me to mess around with something that a gas safe fitter only should touch.

However i would of appreaciated your guess or your advice on what the safety issue was, ie the waste pipe of a internal error.

For instance i would maybe guess that the drain pipe inside is blocked maybe? but i wont be opening up the chamber to look.

If you was to answer that you think the issue is with my boiler then i would be more worried maybe tahn me thinking your refering to me plastic waste pipe being disconected.

I know for a fact that there are no emmisions coming out of that pipe so i figure you are talking about a boiler issue on my behalf. Would be nice to knwo your thoughts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back