Draught from uPVC door. How can I sort it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, had a new uPCV door fitted to the side of the house about 2 years ago and only recently with the cold weather have I noticed there is a considerable draught coming from the top corner on the left side - the same side as the door handle.

I'm thinking it can't be a naff seal as the door is fairly young.

I've turned my attention straight to the multipoint locking system thinking that maybe it isn't pulling the door close enough and leaving a slight gap?

We have had problems with the metal latches in the frame before - they came loose and the door would get jammed. The guy used screws that were too small for the holes so the latches were coming out, he simply used larger screws.

The way the door seems to operate is that if you simply push (or pull) the door closed it will latch but remain open slightly - there would be a gap around the door. Lifting the handle up engages the multipoint locking system which pulls the door further in which should seal the gap but doesn't seem to be doing so all the way around.

Is there any way I can make an adjustment to the door or locking system, maybe the hinges which would allow the door to sit closer to the frame when the locking system is engaged?

Sponsored Links
The lock keeps must be out of line , has the larger screws in them left them protruding?

The lock keeps must be out of line , has the larger screws in them left them protruding?

Hi there. The larger screws aren't protruding. The lock keeps are solid too. They were very loose before the screws were replaced - hence the door kept jamming.

I've read in other threads that hinges can be adjusted. It seems that the hinge side of the door seals perfectly but the lock side of the door does not.

Sponsored Links
If the uppermost lock is a hook then the adjustmeant will be on the keep on the frame via allen key adjustment

If the uppermost lock is a roller cam then there will be an allen key adjustment in the centre of it, also notice a dot on the cam, the cam is eccentrically mounted so turn the cam until the dot faces as far inwards as poss, this will pull the door tighter to the frame.

If you have a shoot bolts then again the adjustment is via the keep on the frame

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back