DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Draught from uPVC door. How can I sort it?

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gigagator

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote

Hi all, had a new uPCV door fitted to the side of the house about 2 years ago and only recently with the cold weather have I noticed there is a considerable draught coming from the top corner on the left side - the same side as the door handle.

I'm thinking it can't be a naff seal as the door is fairly young.

I've turned my attention straight to the multipoint locking system thinking that maybe it isn't pulling the door close enough and leaving a slight gap?

We have had problems with the metal latches in the frame before - they came loose and the door would get jammed. The guy used screws that were too small for the holes so the latches were coming out, he simply used larger screws.

The way the door seems to operate is that if you simply push (or pull) the door closed it will latch but remain open slightly - there would be a gap around the door. Lifting the handle up engages the multipoint locking system which pulls the door further in which should seal the gap but doesn't seem to be doing so all the way around.

Is there any way I can make an adjustment to the door or locking system, maybe the hinges which would allow the door to sit closer to the frame when the locking system is engaged?
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
foxhole

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote

The lock keeps must be out of line , has the larger screws in them left them protruding?
 Alert Moderators
Gigagator

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote

foxhole wrote:
The lock keeps must be out of line , has the larger screws in them left them protruding?

Hi there. The larger screws aren't protruding. The lock keeps are solid too. They were very loose before the screws were replaced - hence the door kept jamming.

I've read in other threads that hinges can be adjusted. It seems that the hinge side of the door seals perfectly but the lock side of the door does not.
 Alert Moderators
crank39

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote

If the uppermost lock is a hook then the adjustmeant will be on the keep on the frame via allen key adjustment

If the uppermost lock is a roller cam then there will be an allen key adjustment in the centre of it, also notice a dot on the cam, the cam is eccentrically mounted so turn the cam until the dot faces as far inwards as poss, this will pull the door tighter to the frame.

If you have a shoot bolts then again the adjustment is via the keep on the frame
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Windows and Doors All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: