Need help understanding aerial sockets!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Have moved into a flat recently and have two TVs with built in freeview however can only pick up channels from one socket in the flat.

In the lounge I have this large plate with sockets labelled (left to right) SAT1, SAT2, TV, RADIO1, RADIO2 (obviously not including the phone line) and in the bedroom I have the small plate which is unlabelled.

At the moment the only socket I can pick up any TV channels with is the one in the lounge labelled TV, can someone tell me if this is right? And if so what are the other sockets for?

Thanks very much!

Sponsored Links
the house may have been prewired when built and the wires just go into the loft for connection later.

so some of the sockets may not be connected to anything.

wheres the ariel?

Sponsored Links
What may be happening is that the bedroom socket is fed from the male socket in your first picture.

In that case, the best way would be to connect the TV socket to the male one with a lead. Now try the TV in the bedroom.

If this works, split the signal and run one output to your main set, one to the bedroom feed.

Let us know if this helps.

Cheers,

Colin

If this flat is in a block of flats with a central aerial system then the most likely layout is as follows:

Sat 1 - for connecting a basic Sky box

Sat 2 - for connection the second feed to a Sky+ or Sky+HD box

TV - Freeview & analogue TV aerial feed - this is what you are connected to right now.

Radio 1 - Analogue FM

Radio 2 - DAB Digital radio

However, it's a bit unusual to have separate feeds for FM and DAB. Usually they are combined and te socket labelled FM/DAB. The remaining socket is usually the Return which is how you might feed an aerial signal to another room. Here's a wall panel with FM/DAB and Return sockets...

157.jpg

Continuing from the post of "ChrisFrost" which is excellent. Unplug the aerial lead from TV and plug it into return (So lead joins return to known good TV output) then try TV in bed room.
If it works then you know return is connected to bed room. If that is case there are two possibilities.
1) Cheap splitter.
2) An active link.
With the latter that could be an amplifier with two outputs or it could be a sky box which has two outputs the RF2 goes into return as that way a digi-eye will work.
At this point no point in going further but if you tell us what happened and what you have I am sure we can continue to give advice.

You need to establish where your aerial(s) is/are, whether there's a satellite dish, and whether or not they are connected to your flat.

Both wall plates have screws holding them to the wall. Unscrew the one with multiple sockets and determine what, if anything, is connected to it at the back. Do the same with the other one.

You need to establish if the single socket is fed from the back of the multiple plate or from another source.

You need to establish where your (or the building's) aerial is, and whether or not it's exclusively yours or a communal one. Whether you do this by climbing into the loft, onto the roof, or asking neighbours or a managing agent for the building is up to you, but you won't find the answer within your flat, or posting here.

just link a short piece of cable from sat2 into the return socket ,this will send free view signal to your other socket/s in the flat , if you intend on using sky then just feed from rf2 into the return as suggested

i'd be asking the building management what provision for tv is put in, or ask one of the other flats what sockets they have fitted, if all the same then it is a building install, if different then yours has been fitted by the previous owner and anything could be setup!, pics of the roof would help to see how many aerials there are, also see this diagram may not apply in your setup but might.....
hdu681_diagramlarge.jpg

highly unlikely that a setup in a block of flats would look anything like the one in that diagram.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back