Gluing toilet pan to tiles?

G

GaytonTonner

A wooden floor with tiles on top. Pipes are beneath the point where a back to wall toilet pan is to be fitted. Screwing it down is a big risk because of the pipes under.

Using the Gripfix type of adhesives looks fine, a problem may arise when the pan has to be removed for any reason. What do most do in this situation.

Sponsored Links
place the pan where its going to go and mark out exact location of the two
bolts that hold the plastic clamps to the floor are going to go.

You could try drilling tile. Then instead of screwing blind into wood carefully drill wood with a masonry bit. You'll soon feel if any pipe but bluntness of bit won't pierce pipe. If no pipe bit will go through making a hollow hole which you simply plug and screw then finish pan with silicone sealant which is easily removed.

Best technique is to place you middle finger over your index finger on both hands, shut your eyes and drill away!

Sponsored Links
You could try drilling tile. Then instead of screwing blind into wood carefully drill wood with a masonry bit. You'll soon feel if any pipe but bluntness of bit won't pierce pipe. If no pipe bit will go through making a hollow hole which you simply plug and screw then finish pan with silicone sealant which is easily removed.

Thanks. The pipes under are plastic, so it will be difficult to detect them. The risk is just not worth it. Will just a bed of ordinary silicon do? These Gripfix or Gripfill tube. Are they easy to knock away when the pan needs removing at some time?

Simple the pipes should not be there, if during a bathroom refurbishment you find the pipes run through the point of the WC location, you should alter the pipes

Simple the pipes should not be there, if during a bathroom refurbishment you find the pipes run through the point of the WC location, you should alter the pipes

That is not an option. The pipes are there and cannot be removed. The point is how to get a secure wc pan without screws.

Another pearl of wisdom.I suppose on millionaires row where you work,your customers are happy for you to re pipe their entire mansion when carrying out simple alterations.

It must be so nice never to have to come across the problems that most other plumbers face on a day to day basis.

A wooden floor with tiles on top. Pipes are beneath the point where a back to wall toilet pan is to be fitted. Screwing it down is a big risk because of the pipes under.

Using the Gripfix type of adhesives looks fine, a problem may arise when the pan has to be removed for any reason. What do most do in this situation.

If it's a wooden floor with tiles on top, how do you know where the pipes are :?:

I have a pan in a wetroom that, thanks to the previous occupant of the house, has never been attached to the floor. It has yet to give any problems.

I don't personally like the idea of attaching with adhesive alone, but if you must do it, I'd suggest using a good quality silicone sealant. Chances are that should you ever need to remove the pan in the future, although you may have to destroy it in the process, at least the excess sealant can be scraped away from the tiles.

I have a wetroom
Poseur ;) I have a retro Karzi with high level iron cistern and mahogany seat:cool: I`d be happy to use silicone to hold any pan down - it`s an exellent adhesive - if you google Dow Corning you see there are lots of different ones - strength etc. Can be cut from under a pan with a hacksaw blade

I have a wetroom
Poseur ;) I have a retro Karzi with high level iron cistern and mahogany seat:cool: I`d be happy to use silicone to hold any pan down - it`s an exellent adhesive - if you google Dow Corning you see there are lots of different ones - strength etc. Can be cut from under a pan with a hacksaw blade

I was told today to put the pan on 4 tile spacer crosses. This raises the pan about 1mm or 2 mm. Use a silicon gun to inject silicon in the gap under the pan. Leave for 24 hours and then finish off the silicon to make it look good.

As others have said silicone the pan down , done loads of em !!! always use it on solid floors ??

Have also used that expanding foam as well , but make sure if u use it that you put a heavy weight on the pan for 24 hours , other wise the pan will lift up :) :) good idea to apply some masking tape around the wc ect as well , when the foam go's off its a s*d to get off :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back