EXTERNAL ALARM SYSTEM & CCTV - project due to start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a window forced entry recently - but intruder luckily spotted by passer by - so intruder exited quickly - empty handed.

We have an internal wireless alarm which was in the process of repair when this occured, but my objective is now to Raise an Alarm BEFORE entry and damage to the property.

I have been trying (WITH DIFFICULTY) to source suitable external PIRs suitable for small animal filtering, and able to drive a control panel and alarm box with strobe.

I am a retired engineer and have experience of fitting an alarm system and CCTV at my previous home a few years ago.

3 Questions

1. Can the Alarm and Strobe be set to work together and timed to switch OFF and reset after - say 10 minutes. This would be to avoid nuisance to neighbours and not advertise the fact you may be away by the continuous strobe light after the siren has stopped.

2. Can I drive say four alarm boxes from the same alert, or at least the Strobes on these boxes. (Max deterrent effect for intruder and max visibility attention from neighbours)

3. Any leads please to suitable external weathproof sensibly priced PIRs. I will need about 7 or 8.

Appreciate input from anyone who has installed a similar system. I also intend to fit a new modern CCTV system.

Thanks in anticipation for any replies. :D

Sponsored Links
It's always the same - break in then followed by totally OTT response.

Just put a decent domestic alarm in (Texecom R8?) and you'll get no further bother.

Why upset your neighbours over something that's not going to happen?

Hi Joe

Appreciate your personal point of view, but apparently the previous owners had a break in and several locally have had thefts from items outdoors.

Its too late to act once they are in, if there are no neighbours at home. Best in my view to let them know they are detected BEFORE damage occurs, not to let them enter the property before an alarm sounds.

To me its a worthwhile investment for peace of mind and knowing who is around when you're not there.

Go for an IP CCTV system with motion detection and IR cameras for night use. With correct siting and setting up the detection zones this will give you a virtual fence.

With an internet enabled mobile phone you'll get an alert email and can watch events live over the web. Use the talkback feature on many IP cameras and some horn speakers and you can shout at the intruders and tell them to move away.

Sponsored Links
Takex 100m External / 200m Internal Standard Twin Beam Detector

Sorry copy/paste to Google - Takex beams are some of the best around.

Have a look at the above, only posted this to show what I'm on about, there are many different versions of IR Beams.

Note the words Twin Beams DON'T use Single Beams outside
Twin Beams, two sets of beams in the same units.

Much more stable than PIRs or similar outside, it's what they are made for.

There are many different versions of the same thing, spend some time researching the Takex beams, excellent piece of kit.

ps

If you decide to go down this route, a suggestion, if you want to cover a 50m gap, use a 100m set of beams, etc etc, much more stable.

The setting up of these is really not for the DiY 'expert' an experienced alarm fitter I would suggest is the way to go with these.

Food for thought?

As Europlex suggests, beams would be better.

CCTV too if you want it. Has the visible deterrent effect and hopefully footage of any scrotes if needed.
Unless you have a large wad of spends, don't go for IP CCTV, the low end stuff is, well, low end and a waste of time. Also do NOT use motion detection for external based on DVR. Damn thing will be constantly triggering with false alarms.

Can't say I agree. If domestic internal alarms didn't do the job I'm sure we'd know about by now. If you MUST go for a perimeter system then use Vipers.

Can't say I agree. If domestic internal alarms didn't do the job I'm sure we'd know about by now. If you MUST go for a perimeter system then use Vipers.
Explain please.

The post is self explanatory. What more can I say?

Takex 100m External / 200m Internal Standard Twin Beam Detector

Sorry copy/paste to Google - Takex beams are some of the best around.

Have a look at the above, only posted this to show what I'm on about, there are many different versions of IR Beams.

Note the words Twin Beams DON'T use Single Beams outside
Twin Beams, two sets of beams in the same units.

Much more stable than PIRs or similar outside, it's what they are made for.

There are many different versions of the same thing, spend some time researching the Takex beams, excellent piece of kit.

ps

If you decide to go down this route, a suggestion, if you want to cover a 50m gap, use a 100m set of beams, etc etc, much more stable.

The setting up of these is really not for the DiY 'expert' an experienced alarm fitter I would suggest is the way to go with these.

Food for thought?

THE DETAILS OF THE SITE

I have several environmental difficulties due to:-

a. The property is built on an irregular shaped site , sloping downwards with terraces in places and slightly sloping sideways.

b. It is a 200sq mtr single storey, which is approx "L" shaped with several recessed niches (out of neighbours view) generally where some windows are. So intruder can prise windows undetected.

My initial thoughts on the spec. were something like:

PIR - DSC LC151 looking at each vulnerable area and focussed to an area say 3m x 3m in front of the window, linked to individual zones on a dedicated control box for outdoor alarm system.

CCTV 520 or 600tvl led day/night cams with something like the Avtech DVR with DVDRW 1TB - these focussed to cover each window/door with a wider degree of overlook so snooping or attempt to sabotage would be filmed.

Not sure what sensitivity levels can be set on CAMs and whether tree or cat/dog movements can be filtered from starting trigger recording.

Isn't the project a little misguided in that it assumes a house alarm is designed to protect against damage when really their purpose is to protect against loss and report damage?

A situation I can see arising with your plan is what happens when your house alarm goes off when a person is near your property BUT hidden from view what then? The alarm is going off, upsetting the neighbours, making them even less likely to show interest when you have an intruder and under English law a criminal offence still hasn't been committed so it's up to you, not the Police, to go round to this obscured area of your property and 'flush out' the person that's lurking.

I think outside PIRs and beams, combined with loudspeakers and PTZ CCTV cameras are the way forward like they use these on construction sites for example. You can then make them clearly aware their presence has been detected, they're not welcome and has been logged - all without upsetting your neighbours and putting yourself in harms way.

THE DETAILS OF THE SITE

I have several environmental difficulties due to:-

a. The property is built on an irregular shaped site , sloping downwards with terraces in places and slightly sloping sideways.

b. It is a 200sq mtr single storey, which is approx "L" shaped with several recessed niches (out of neighbours view) generally where some windows are. So intruder can prise windows undetected.

My initial thoughts on the spec. were something like:

PIR - DSC LC151 looking at each vulnerable area and focussed to an area say 3m x 3m in front of the window, linked to individual zones on a dedicated control box for outdoor alarm system.

CCTV 520 or 600tvl led day/night cams with something like the Avtech DVR with DVDRW 1TB - these focussed to cover each window/door with a wider degree of overlook so snooping or attempt to sabotage would be filmed.

Not sure what sensitivity levels can be set on CAMs and whether tree or cat/dog movements can be filtered from starting trigger recording.

Would need a bit of thought for siting the beams, but still doable.

As for CCTV and motion detection.
I will repeat. Do NOT use the feature built into the DVR- it will be in constant trigger/alarm. It 'sees' movement - of any kind, be it people, animals and vegetation (trees/plants moving in a breeze).
Better to use the triggers from the beams or if the funds are upto it, Redwalls or Opels.

An important point from my post.
I have experience of beams being used in your sort of situations, they can and do work well, and very importantly are way less likely to false alarm if set up correctly and maintained than any 'movement detector'.

Outputs from them could be utilised to trip lights/cctv/music/ whatever at a localised level, buzzers during the day/night when you are at home to let you know something is happening.

The ideas can go on and on.

Beams on perimeter with GJD lighting detectors INSIDE and away from the beams, but remember the lights are only of any use if you are there to see what's going on, otherwise they only 'light the way'.

Beam activates first, lets you know, then lights in same area, conformation, get the idea?

Lets you deal with the situation appropriately.

A line plan of your property would help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back